• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1890 ProV and 175 EFI Mariner

iffwalleyes

Question

Looking at buying are rig with this combination. It is a 96 1890 Pro V with a 96 175 EFI Mariner outboard. Does anyone have experience with either of these two good or bad. The boat looks in really good shape but are there anythings I should be looking for. What about the motor has anyone has any major problems with this or even any smaller problems I should be aware of with these.

9 answers to this question

No Way.

I would steer clear of the Mariner at all cost.

The Pro V get's a thumps up!!!

Why stay away ? There's nothing wrong with Mariner, they are Mercury motors, I had a 175hp EFI 1995 and was awesome, even in winter time just a touch of key and it was starting and idling great.

Have compression checked, like with all outboards, it's very important.

If it's in good shape you will be impressed with the response.

The Pro V get's a thumps up!!!

I think it's thumbs up....

I think the same as Valv.

If the 175 Mariner EFI is the same as the Merc EFI, that is a proven reliable motor. The Merc EFI in V6 is SOLID. But with any motor that age, you NEED to get a compression check or leak down test done on it before you buy (the test is cheap, a rebuild is not cheap). And check the impeller or just plan to replace it.

Like Valv said, great throttle response in that motor. It goes through gas big time, just so you know. And resale value on EFIs and carbed motors should be / will be falling through the floor, so hopefully you can take advantage of that now if you buy.

Regarding the boat, I would check to see that all the gauges, lights, pumps and electronics work, and try to find out if the boat or the livewells leak. Most of that stuff is a pretty easy, pretty cheap fix.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the trailer. A good trailer is vital, a bad trailer or one that's not heavy enough will give you nothing but trouble. The boat should be positioned on the trailer so the transom is sitting right on top of the rollers, you don't want any transom overhanging the rollers or it could put a hook in the hull. And hopefully the previous owners have had a transom saver on the boat with that big motor.

Good luck, have fun shopping.

Ok thanks for the tips. I figured with this motor it would be a thirsty one. Just out of curiosity Perch do you have any idea or remember what kind of MPG you got with it? Some day I will have an opti max but right now isn't the time. The trailer looks to be good it looks like a nice shorelander. The trailer is even color matched to the boat not that that is a big deal. I was planning to do a leak down test before buying so thanks for the help guys.

And Pier believe me I hear you on the Force motor wouldn't even consider one of those.

I don't have any idea what the gas mileage was. On trips to Lac Seul when we made long day runs, like 45-60 minutes to get to the area we wanted to fish, plus that run back, plus lots of running to various spots in that area, I would go through over 1/2 of my 36 gallon tank. But on the other hand, I've had lots of 4 day to week-long trips where I never filled the tank and still came home with a bunch of gas. I fished for 4 days on Vermilion a couple years ago - 3 days of prefishing and a 1 day tournament - and we ran a LOT and usually WOT, and I think I used about a tank and a half (we covered the whole lake, and it's a big lake). Don't know if that helps you or not.

About 2.5 mpg for that motor and it doesn't matter if you are cruising or full throttle. I have a '94 Merc 175 EFI.

Motor is solid. I'm not a Merc fan, but it gets me to where I want to fish.

However, the 1890 Lund I read years back from owners who had some issues. Something relating to the front livewell coming loose, structural issues of some kind.... anyone heard the same?

Something to eyeball before buying?

iff, Curt q has an 1890 and I think it is right around that vintage, he could tell you what to look for maybe.

fiskyknut

Ok all good stuff I will make sure to check this stuff out. Perch that is funny I am planning a trip to Lac Seul this year that is part of the reason I am looking at this boat a little nice than the explore I currently have. Thanks fellas.