• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SLOPPY

HARPOON-OR-BUST

Question

QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS........

LAST NIGHT I WAS STARTING TO GET A JUMP ON SOME OF THE THINGS I NEED TO GET DONE BEFORE I GET THE BOAT OUT THIS SPRING. I WAS MOUNTING A BRUSH PROTECTOR (BRISTLE MUD FLAP) TO THE RECEIVER TO PROTECT THE BOAT FROM ROCK CHIPS. LAST YEAR I BOUGHT I NEW RECEIVER WITH THE POLY SHOCK ABSORBERS IN IT TO HELP GET RID OF THAT "JARING" FELLING WHILE GOING DOWN THE ROAD. I ENDED UP WRAPING SOME DUCT TAPE ON IT TO GET IT TO FIT IN THE HITCH WITHOUT ANY SLOP.

ANYWAY, AFTER I GOT THE BRUSH INSTALLED I NOTICED THAT IT IS BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE WITH ALL THE PLAY IN IT.....

SO THE QUESTION IS HAVE YOU GUYS EVER DONE ANYTHING TO ALEVIATE THE PROBLEM?? I WAS THINKING OF MAYBE WELDING A BEAD ON THE RECEIVER AND THEN GRINDING IT DOWN UNTIL I COULD GET IT TO FIT SNUG....... ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT RECEIVERS TO SEE IF SOME FIT BETTER THAN OTHERS. I HAVE TWO A REESE AND THE SHOCK ABSORBER (DON'T REMEMBER THE BRAND), THE SHOCK ABSORBER SEEMS TO FIT BETTER, BUT NOT THE WAY I WOULD LIKE IT TOO. MY DAD HAS A RIGID RECEIVER AND HITCH AND THAT ONE SEEMS TO BE WORSE THAN ALL OF THEM.

2 answers to this question

I welded a bead on one to make it fit tighter and it worked great. Actually my dad did the welding, but I did a great job telling him my problem! grin.gif

When we did it, we only tacked a couple areas and that was plenty good. Then as you mentioned grind the excess off. It took alot of time grinding to get it to fit right, but it worked great.

Just don't make it too tight or you'll be cussing when it's time to remove it. Any rust, dirt or whatever will make your perfect fit, not fit anymore or atleast make it alot harder to install and remove.

I agree, weld it and grind it. Also grease the hitch so when it comes time to remove it, it comes out easier. gl