• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies on Big Cormorant?

My grandfather has a cabin on Big Cormorant and I will more than likely be visiting him over bass opener. I will make my routine trip to another lake in the area for Saturday morning largemouths on opening day and was thinking about fishing Big C for smallies as well. I have always fished Big C for walleyes, but have heard it produces ample smallmouth fishing as well. Is it true that there are a catchable amount of smallmouths and if so where should I start? Any help would be appreciated, I am quasi familiar with locations (the gap, strawberry hill, etc) on the lake, so any starting points and lure ideas would help. Thanks folks.

I havent ever targeted them but have caught many while fishing walleyes. there are some real gems in BC. my personal best is 19.5", (still swiming), but have also caught several 18"ers too. all the bigger ones ive caught have been out of the southern half of the lake including pikes bay. the lake does have a fairly good population of largmouth too, I have on several ocations put the camera down to see what my locator was showing me and have found schools of LM. good luck

One of my favorite spots to fish for smallies is on Strawberry Flatts. If you don't know where it is it's on the east side of the lake. The main forage for smallies in this area is crawfish. The cray fish stick to the rocks along shore but do swim out and about in this flat. You will find open spots in the flats and you will find weed spots. Target the edges of the weed lines first and then if no luck target the docks along the shoreline. My grandma and Grandpa had a cabin for 25 yrs on this shore and we used to catch them off of the dock no size but we were also little kids when we would catch them. The water is very clear in this area so be carefull not to spook them.

Depending on water temp and how windy it is you can try to find the edge of the weed line out deep (18+ ft). it wont take one long to find the corners of the flat. On the north end of the flat there is a mid lake ridge that comes out from shore target the corner where it goes from the flat out towards the middle of the lake and then also follow the edge out and fish the end of the ridge it isn't big but fish it with jigs and see what you can find. Watch out for Norts.

On the south edge of the Flats you will find that it goes 90 deg towards shore then turns 90 deg and follows shore. If you can position in the corners and fish in between 500 feet area.

Next spot is on the north side of the lake. Find Leaf/Big C access. Follow shore till you find a point. there is a resort on top of the hill with a light in the corner. fish in the corner and the shoreline because of the rocks they will be there to feed. On the south side of the point you will see a rock ridge that will stick out and fish that really hard. It comes up really shallow so be carefull with boat position. If you are fishing with jigs and raps you should be good in this spot. this is a nice spot to fish for walleyes with raps at night grin.gif

If you can't follow me drop me a line and I'll try to help ya out. I stick to the north side and barely go south of the bay on the east side.

Code-Man

• Thanks 1

They must be everywhere.

I catch them in the gap and on the north end by the old landing resturant. Take a HARD right (west) just off the access and I have caught them there as well.

Minneman is a fishing stud, but I have caught an 18 inchers with many 16-17 inchers.

They are fun.

How to target them? That is easy, fish were you would fish for walleyes. I usually catch them prior to 'Eye prime time. They must go elsewhere then.

about 18 feet sounds about right. They are fun. If you don't catch a lot of them you would swear it is a PIG walleye.

At least it is not a D@#M+ Rocky.

hitman, we'll have to meet up sometime during early season and slam some of those smallies and eyes on the fly...

me too laugh.gif, I'll get my 5 weight ready. Dead, when we going fly fishing for trout, I need to get m fix in. I usually try to fly fish for crappies in the spring, you'll have to join me one time to do that.

Fisherdog

sounds like a plan Peter. I've been tying pretty frequently the last month. The only downside to that is that it has taken away from my time on the ice crazy.gif

I've tied up a bunch of streamer patterns for smallies and walleyes, as well as a bunch of dries and nymphs for trout. If you look over at the fly fishing forum there are a few pics of some flies I've tied.

I've never fly fished but swear I'm going to get in to it some day. Let me know when you guys go out. I wouldn't mind observing if it's OK with you. If you know anyone who has equipment for sale I'm game for that too.

Scott,

Let's talk about fly fishing tommorow at the get together. I've got some gear you could borrow to see if it's something you'll like.

Scott--

Remember we talked about that. If you get into another thing you will be selling that Yellow rig of yours. That is cool.

I'll buy it. grin.gif

Scott, in case you're wondering the line on that reel was cortland fairplay, weight-forward 8wt.

Good luck not getting addicted!

Quote:

Scott, in case you're wondering the line on that reel was cortland fairplay, weight-forward 8wt.

Good luck not getting addicted!

Thanks Dead....found myself in Cabelas fly fishing department in GF today already, but I don't know enough to know that I don't know what to look for confused.gif

Awwww...first things first....on to that half (Contact US Regarding This Word) site to find flyfishing for dummies and maybe a couple cheap videos grin.gif

Oh oh...I feel the brain cells twichin and itchin to get started! smirk.gif

Scott for that 8wt, any Wooly bugger from size 4-10 should handle it no problem. black, brown, olive, are great colors as well as yellow and white. you'll probably catch more fish with those buggers than any other fly for warmwater fish. you could also buy some poppers for topwater bass action!

If you search on the fly fishing forum here, there's a bunch of great advice.

OH MY GOD!!! Another Forum shocked.gif sheesh crazy.gif I thought you said I'd get addicted to fly fishing!

Ahhh...OK honey, I'll be right in...just a couple minutes more...don't start without me blush.gif