• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

96 F-150 fuel system problem

dieguy

Question

I have the above mentioned truck and appear to be having a fuel delivery problem. The strange thing is it is only on the front tank. The truck runs perfectly on the back tank but when I switch to the front tank it idles fine but sputters and cuts out during acceleration intermittently(sp?). The other strange thing is the gas appears to be siphoning from the good back tank to the bad front tank. I figured this out when I decided not to use the front tank and I was going through gas like crazy through the back tank. Then I noticed I had gas dripping from the front tank so i switched it to the front and It was actually overflowing with gas. So now I fill the back tank only and try to use the front tank enough to keep the gas level down. This has been going on for months and I can't figure out what it could be. Any thoughts out there, Thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

First I have to ask have you taken this to your dealer? Second, do you have a fuel tank in the back (bed) of the truck that is hooked up to the regular fuel tanks?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There was recall that addressed this problem but I'm not sure if it covered the year of your truck. Check with your dealer.

NHTSA Recall History:

1990-96 w/dual fuel tanks: Portion of unused fuel from one tank may be returned to the second tank, causing spillage.

Unfortunately the bulletin does not tell what action to take to correct the problem, but does seem to include your model year. I'd suspect something with the transfer valve or possibly the switch.

Sounds like your fuel tank switching valve has gone bad.....$54.00 from the dealer and about 45 minutes worth of labor and you'll be rolling again.

Hey Thanks a million guys I will definitely try this and let you know how it goes,

Dieguy

I know that this topic is a few days old but I wanted to know if you got the problem fixed? I have the same problew minus the coughing and sputtering. Gas is siphoned from the rear to the front. The dealer told me $500 would fix the problem. I can live with it for that kinda money. Is there a recall for that problem? Id love to stick it to them.

Haven't tried to fix it yet with all the great weather weve been having, Hey Wigglin or efgh, where is this valve located? I can't find anything about it in my Hanes manual(worthless book) I am hoping to work on it this weekend. Thanks

Well here is my update, I went to the Ford Dealer and purchased the above mentioned part and It does not exist on my truck. i searched High and low and followed every gas line in this truck and no valve. So now i am stumped. i did notice that the fuel pump sounds a little weak so I am figuring I have 2 problems, 1 is the fuel pump is going out which is causing my spitting and sputtering and then there must be some type of a check valve that stops the fuel from backing up into the other tank that went bad. the switch on the dash must just switch from 1 pump to another. Any thoughts out there? Anybody had this situation. I guess i will try to replace the pump this weekend ($160 what a ripoff) and see what I can figure out.

Your truck has to have one....it is an electronic one mounted right in front of the front tank....on the frame rail.......all ford trucks through 96 with duel tanks has a selector valve....