• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catfish and Carp on the Horseshoe Chain

eric anderson

i am really excited to get out and try fishing the horseshoe chain this spring and summer. i have never been there before but want to try there. i have heard that its pretty good fishin! does anyone know some good spots to catch some cats and carp!!

Eric, take a look at the Cool Cats 2006 post at the top of the page in this forum. There is some good information to be had there that you can also use for spring, summer and fall as well.

I don't target cats, but I was catching them everywhere during a bass tourney last summer. I caught two nice sized cats on the southern half of horseshoe along the east shoreline, both off of cranks confused.gif. Also caught one close to 8lbs in the lily pads with a plastic worm. So, not sure what that tells ya, but they're there.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

In the summer I've caught them on plastic worms, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and of course livebait.

You'll find them in 1-45 fow in the summer.

In the spring, try in the current areas in about 12-15 ft of water.

I live on the mississippi river and catch a lot of nice catfish and walleyes.

I have caught a lot of cats up there, drifting what you would use for walleyes works in shallow or deep they put up a good fight and I would say the ave. wt. is around 3-5 lbs. there. They sure make a mess out of your line though but that is to be expected on the chain.

I dont fish for cats very much. I live on the mississippi south of rice mn. they bite very well in the summer the biggest one I caught was 20 ponds, never have I caught one in the winter. THE Walleyes sure bite in the summer too.

the horseshoe chain, that area you can catch different species all day long. It is fun to fish that area.