• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opinions on G3 boats

Down Deep

Question

I'm a long time Lund owner and presently own a 99 Pro V 1800. I've been shoping for a new boat and I've looked at the G3 Angler V185dc. These boats look really nice and and appear to be quality made. Does anyone own one or have an opinon about the G3's?

8 answers to this question

Down Deep, I would really recomend you go talk to Josh at Marine General. He will fill you in about the good & bad.

I did a lot of research on them and went Lund. If you have a Lund why would you go buy anything else? Like Cheffrey said Josh will tel ya why he is selling his G-3. I also thought they looked great and were laid out nice and when Yamaha took over I thought it would be a safe bet. Ill just say Im glad I went Lund. Why even think about second best when you already own the best tin boat made? wink.gif

Go check out the G-3's at Gander and after 10 minutes you will see the differences in quality.

Let's say it's just like owning a Bayliner, thay have the name, but not the quality.

They are a brand made to compete with pricing, not quality.

I have looked at th G3 boats also when I was shopping for boats last winter/spring. They seemed OK.

If you are going with an aluminum boat you are probably better off sticking with a Lund or Alumacraft.

When I bought last year it came down to either a Lund Explorer 1700 or a Alumacraft Navigator 175. They are both comparable models. I went with the Alumacraft. It was a little bit lower in price and it seemed like I was getting a little more in the boat. Bigger gas tank. Tac and Spedo, a little wider. No body had a problem sticking a Yamaha on an Alumacraft (Brunswick complicated putting a Yammy on a Lund a little bit).

All that being said. IMO either a Alumacraft or a Lund would be the way to go. I would say ounce for ounce, pound for pound they are equally the two best Aluminum boats on the market.

I also reserached the G3 this year before I selling my Lund and buying a Almuacraft Tourney pro. I felt the Alumacraft and Lund are overall better built, better layout, and went with Alumacraft feeling got the same or close quality for the price as a Lund and a few more options. If you can either go to the dealer or a boat show and as others said you will see the difference.

Ive got a couple friends and know others that own them, and like ALL boat owners, they probably have had an item of complaint. One friend owns his 3rd G3 and is running his in the FLW this year. Ive fished out of them and dont have anything bad to say about them, nice ride, very fishable.

At least get in one and run it before you decide.

I have absolutely no experience with G3. However, I do know that they are not "tried and true". I'd go with a reputable company (lund, almcrft, crstnr)that you know will stand behind their product.

Who knows, maybe G3 will prove to be a force in the future. They are now a major FLW sponsor this year, so evidently they're going for it.

I own a 2003 V180angler from G3 and love the boat. Plenty of floor room and storage. I have no complaints at all about owning this boat. I highly recommend them.