• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing in May

Hi, I have a question. We are coming to the area the end of May or early June to camp and fish for a couple nights. Which is a better bet for shore fishing, Lake Shetek or Lake Laura? Never been to the area before.Also do they have nice campgrounds? Thanks

Your best bet for shore fishing would be lake sarah. There's a campground on the west side of the lake and alot of people catch walleyes from shore. lake shetek has a few campgrounds and a state park, but the shore fishing isn't the best. lake laura has a nice campground but the lake is very small and the fishing isn't that good. Hope that helps.

I agree with Lonewolf22, the county park campground on Lake

Sarah is a good spot for opener and a few weeks after. It's all rocks around there, a jig and a leech will give you some action.

I guess I'm kinda suprised by the responses. I've never had much luck shore fishing on Sarah, but I've done ok for walleye and pretty good for crappies on Shetek. Sarah does have a nice campground. I guess the next time I go to Sarah I'd better do something different. crazy.gif

Shetek has nice shore fishing from the dikes. If you're staying at the campground right there is convienient. If you're staying at the state park it's not so easy.

I guess I kind of forgot about the dikes on Shetek. The only problem I've had with fishing from the dikes is it tends to get a little crowded at times. As far as fishing from shore on Sarah goes, I've had the best luck fishing at night with lighted bobbers or reeling in a crawler on bottom really slow.

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know the name of the campgrounds on Shetek or Lake Sarah?