• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Replica of a 27.5" wallter from last June

Tony-Christmas.JPG

I know a lot you guys have heard me ramble on about how nice replicas look and the advantages of them so here is one a father gave his son for X-mas from this past June fishing trip.

Looks great to me and you get to get that girl back to breeding keeping our Cass Lake Chain full of Big eyes for everyone to enjoy. I greatly endorse getting pictures and measurements to get a replica made.

Wow! Excellent replica. Who was it done by? Hopefully this summer I can get a replica of a Cass Lake muskie...

The reproduction was done by Artistic Anglers...I think they are in Duluth. May the musky gods shine on you and make your dream come true!! wink.gif

Nice work! I got a 30" Walleye on an area lake last summer and was looking to get a replica. I released it, but it was the biggest of my life! Who did yours?

Quote:

=May the musky gods shine on you and make your dream come true!!
wink.gif

Yeah, I hope so. If not, I may need the help of some of your "divine guiding intervention" to do so.crazy.gif I plan on getting a replica of the first one I catch, if it's big enough that is. I gotta feeling '06 is gonna be a good year...

Say, did anyone else rent that ice house that my dad and I rented in early February? Did they do any better? Oh yeah, this is Rob by the way..

Nice looking fish! Another option that's cheaper than a mount, whether it's a graphite reproduction (which will last a life time) or a skin mount (which will show its age after about 15 years) is to get a poster made. I've heard of a number of people doing this. If you've got a good picture, why not get it blown up into a poster. There's a company that specializes in this (can't remember their name). I know Chad Cain has worked with them. In fact, I think he might have had a life sized poster made of him and his 55" fish from last summer.

To me, I think that might be better than a mount, especially if you were able to get a really good picture. It'll show the fish in all its true colors, not to mention capturing the moment. If you have a kid holding a big fish, what better way to capture that moment for a lifetime than to get a life sized poster made? Mounts are great. But I don't think they would bring the memories back that a poster would. And you get all the benefits. Much more affordable. The fish goes back to fight another day and hopefully reproduce. And if you frame the poster, this is going to last longer than any mount. It's easier to care for, easier to transport if you're moving. And maybe best of all for those of you that are married...your wife will probably tolerate that on the wall more than she would a mount!

That being said, if you're getting a graphite reproduction done, Artistic Anglers out of Duluth does a great job. And my personal recommendation would go to Fibertech Productions out of Nisswa, MN. He specializes in reproductions. In fact, he doesn't do any skin mounts and he only works on fish. His specialization definitely shows in his work.

Aaron

I did some research and the company I was thinking of is Customfish.com. To give you an idea on price, they have a sale currently going on where you can have any bass, walleye, trout or salmon for $50. Any pike or musky for $75. Any saltwater fish for $100.

These are life sized prints. If you catch a 50" musky, your fish will be 50" on the life size print. It's actually printed on a vinyl fabric that resists tears, wrinkles, and fading. According to their website, it only takes 2 to 4 weeks to get this done.

My brother had a graphite reproduction made of a 52" fish a few years ago. I think that cost him in the neighborhood of $750. It looks great, don't get me wrong. But for only $75 he could have had one of these life sized prints done. That's a heck of a savings, truly a much more affordable option for those of us that don't want to spend the big bucks it would cost to have a mount done.

On a side note, I have no affiliation with Customfish.com, they have no idea who I am and I've never talked to anyone associated with them. I just think this is a heck of a good deal and an option I think people should know about when it comes to that fish of a lifetime.

Aaron

Aaron,

Thank you for the info...that is great news for the angler with a tight budget...I know a few of those!!

Was on your site today looking at the new baits from Rapala. It would be great if they would make some more big muskie lures.

I just got my mount back from Artistic Anglers and its awesome as well. Its on the Duluth forum so check it out.

31.5" St.Louis River Walleye. Still out there for someone to catch now that its 32 plus inches.

Brian -

Off the topic...but thanks for showing me the way to Pike Bay landing today - would've had a hard time finding it myself. Maybe see you around looking for muskies this summer...

Thanks,

Paul Kane

Sauk Centre, MN

Paul,

You are very welcome! How did you do out there today, noticed you had a young one with you? Great lake for kids to get hooked on fishing!

Northlander,

Congrats on the trophy...I am heading to the Duluth forum to take a peek.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian - we caught lots of little perch and a few keepers. It was great though - I let my kid run the map and pick the spot that had the fish - away from anyone else. Again, appreciate the help.

Cool to see a happy customer. I can tell by looking at it that its one that I put together. Sure does look good grin.gif