• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am planning a trip to Thunderbird Lodge for this summer and was wondering what month would be the best to catch walleyes/bass? I will have the wife with and she needs some action to keep her from getting bored.

Thanks

July would be my overall first choice. Of any month the weather is most likely to be more stable so the chances for all day rains and cold fronts diminish. There will be better bites on certain days in May and June but July tends to be more consistent. We can and do get cold fronts in July too - just not as many on the average. Also the walleyes and bass are settling into more of a summer pattern which is usually more predictable. If it sounds like I'm hedging that goes with the territory of fishing and weather.

I too would choose July for the month to come up to Rainy. Walleye bite can be fantastic on the reefs and like uffda said, the usually stable weather will allow you to plan ahead and hopefully get some nice weather.

Although I fish the Canada side, I'd have to give July a nod also. Most of the time the weather is stable, although there can be some cold fronts & heat waves in July. Best chance for stable weather this month though. Stable weather is what you want for fishing too. Plus, as uffda said, the fish have pretty well settled into their summer spots by this time of year. Only "downside" if you want to call it that, is the bugs will be in full force.

Definately July, Stable weather and a month between transition from the shallows to deeper water...this is usually a good time to get em on the reefs and drops offs. You'll have a good time no matter what time you decide to come up.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is very similar, so I might get the same answers. I am planning a trip to Rainy too, but I will be in the Kettle Falls area in Voyagers Nat’l Park. I was floating around the idea of mid June. Do you think the fishing in the Kettle Falls area will be better in July than June?? That would really surprise me.

How about smallies?

Does anyone have much experience in the Kettle Falls area?

Fish Head,

I have experience working on the Ash River and came to know some guides well. We did alot of fishing on the east end. Fishing is good all year if you know what patterns to look for. I would prefer July as the walleyes are easier to find. Usually they are on rock piles and other structure chasing baitfish around this time of year. However, June is a good month. I have done well on the rainy side fishing in front of the dam during June. for smallies you'll probably want to hit mid-June and into early july for you best chance of catching 3-5 pounders. Hope this helped...drop us another post if you need some more clarification, etc.