• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bow mount

MNice

Question

I have a 14' lund without anything on the bow. I am considering making something for a bow mount trolling motor. Has anybody modified their boat like this?

Thanks!!

3 answers to this question

I have used a regular transom mount electric motor and mounted it over the gunnels in the bow of a boat similar to the one you describe. I used pieces of wood, 1x4s maybe that were about 12" long, inside and outside the boat so the motor was clamping to the wood, not to the metal. Operated by hand, not by foot control. I never had a problem with it but I would be careful if the bow is bouncing a lot (when trailering I moved it back to the transom). Good luck, I hope this helps.

I put a platform on the bow of my 16' Lowe. Angle aluminum, aluminun pop rivets and tin snips will get you started.

Cut V notches in aluminum so it will bend to the boats form. Rivet the angle under the gunwale. Make a template of cardboard that matches your boats form where the aluminum has been attached. Cut plywood to match the template and screw to the angle.

Weld a 2 foot piece of 1 1/2 inch square tubing to a piece of flat steel that is just over 2 feet long. Screw this to your platform. A 2 foot piece of 1 1/4 inch square tubing will slide in the other tubing. Weld a 2 x 4 rectangle piece of tubing for a motor mount. Smaller tubing slides inside of the bigger one.

I will try to post pics but haven't had any luck yet. Email me and I'll send them that way.

Pictures%2FBoat%20Bow%20001.jpg

Pictures%2FBoat%20Bow%20002.jpg

finns3 at stjoelive dot c 0 m

Finns.

On an old boat I had I bolted some 3/8" aluminum plate on top of the gunnels, then attached a power drive to that. Worked great. The trick is making it strong enough.