• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

minnow size

shaky legs2

I am wondering what the preferences are for minnow size? The samller Fathead or larger one? My experience is that they seem to bite better on the female (lighter color sharper nose) fatheads than the male.

I think one of the best baits on URL is river shiners.

I don't ask for them but I know some guides like the Griz sorts through them himself at Vados bait. It seems like the spring and fall are better times to get female minnows, at least at the bait stores around central minnesota. This time of the year it is difficult to tell the difference between males and females but the males seem to be darker and have a more rounded snout. As summer wears on, they become blacker with little bumps on the snout.

i would love to see the griz searching through a tank full of minnows checking to see the sex. cuz he is "heading up to winne and the fish are going real good up der" one of the true characters on the lake or river.

I totally agree with Shaky Legs2. I have always done the same thing. I pick through the bucket and use all the females first. I never knew the Griz felt the same way but I feel better about the theory now, knowing he does.

this is one of the strangest posts i've seen. but apparently your secret is shared by others. i'll be lookin' at those miners a little closer now.

good luck

speaking of Vados Bait, are they selling rosies this year?

i have out fished qutie a few using these, but they are not always available.

Every time Ive been to Ben's bait in Grand Rapids he's had rosie's but I usally stop at lucky bait and dont remember seeing any last weekend there. You could try calling Ben's