• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What is a better bet for jumbo perch?

I am going to go to winni this weekend, I been doing well

on mille lacs, but would like to try Winne, are the perch the same as mille lacs?Any info would be greatly appriciated

Fins smile.gif

I have fished both quite a few times in the past. Everything being the same, I think that the fish,(jumbos), run a bit larger on Mille Lacs. i.e. I have caught more 13 and 14" fish on mille lacs than winnie, and the fish seem to be heavier given equal length. I think that if a guy was looking for a better chance of catching quantities of fish and consistent action he should look to winnie. Mille Lacs can be the greatest lake in the world and the worst the next day. However, two years ago on mille lacs we had a honey hole for two weeks in March that we caught as many 13" perch and a few larger that we could keep in a short time. Post your email and I can send you a pic of a limit of 40 in a bucket. Not one was under a pound and it took my dad and I less than one hour to get them. Good luck wherever you go.

I agree with sfboy on the size of perch in Mille Lacs. Ive been fishing Winnie for several years now in the winter for perch. I live 1 hour from Mille Lacs but choose to come to Winnie for the perch. Several years ago It was tough to catch perch in Mille Lacs so I tried Winnie and have done great ever since. Along with Mille Lacs it can be a tough lake to fish but if you move around enough you can find them with out being in the crowds if you prefer to be away from the crowd. Also if you don't mind 9-12 inch perch you can catch quite a few once you locate them.I've been up every weekend except 1 since christmas and have taken at least 1 limit and more home everytime I've went. Last weekend came home with 40 perch 20 of them were all 11-12 inchers. I've always fished deeper water even when they say the bite is hot in 14-20 foot. when there active they will come up off the bottom up to 6 feet to hit the bait. I have my best luck 2-3 feet off the bottom. A plain white hook and a tail hooked minnow has worked best for me so far this year. The north west corner of the lake has been good for me also. Travel has been good but a 4 wheel drive is a must if you plan on traveling off the roads. pay attention for the pressure ridges. I'll be back this weekend. I have a blue and white 6x10 fishouse and a surburban. Good luck mabey see you on the lake.

My email is [email protected], love to see that pic Never been to Winni havent a clue where to go, your help would be greatly appriciated where to start looking.

On Mille lacs i just been hitting a spot about 8 miles out of hunters been seen alot of fish on the cam , a few takers but nothing much.

Fins cool.gif

Just wondering if I should make the extra drive to Winni

You know want to have some action, sounds like Winni is a more user friendly body of water, then Mille-lacs,

Hey any info on Winni would be helpful email me if you like with any info [email protected]

thanks again

Fins

Ive fished both lakes alot. Winnie has always produced the most fish more often. Its almost always a sure bet for tons of action. The fish are nice size. However, Millacs has always produced the bigger fish. I guess it depends on which lake is closer. For me its the same drive either way but I sure like the drive to winnie. grin.gif