• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gunflint Lake(this weekend)

we are heading up this weekend. we have never fished lake trout through the ice so if anyone can tell us any bait or where to look to catch a first laker ever? and is there anywhere we could look for some perch if the lakers arnt bitein? thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Although I have my favorite spots, you can pretty much get into Lake Trout all along the southern shoreline, starting from off the landing all the way past the palisades.

Depth is sort of relative as to what areas your fishing but I'll feel comfortable on a hump that tops out at 20' or sitting on a flat in 60'. Points, flats, humps, and walls will all have fish off them.

I'll name a few lures that are know to catch Lakers. Swedish Pimples, Scenic Tackles 1/4 oz Go Devils, Jigging Raps, Airplane jigs, Slender Spoons by Custom Jigs & Spins and tube jigs. Tip them all with cut ciscoe or a minnow head. Theres more but that list should get you bit.

If your staying at a lodge they'll be able to point you to a few spots. Get yourself a DNR map, they don't have all the details of the lake but it'll do.

Perch are the last thing on my mind when on Gunflint so I can't help you there. With any luck the Lake Trout will keep you occupied.

walleyedude:

You can also use the search feature to find posts about lakers thru ice. This site is one of the best cyberspace libraries for tips/techniques out there. Frank is a darn good laker librarian (and OLD!), and is especially knowledgwable about the Gunflint section of that particular library, but it's a big library. grin.gif

While there are minor differences in lures and techniques from lake to lake, lakers are lakers wherever you find them, and most lures/techniques hold true wherever you pursue that muscular and aggressive breed.

Once you get a nice fat laker through the ice you might be changing your handle to "lakerdude!" grin.gif