• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What colors?

anygamewilldo

Is red glow still the color that most people are catching fish on? or is there some new HOT color? coming up march 9-11th and I want to be prepared

It has been for me but last time out a plain white hook worked well also.

Super Red Frostee Moonglow, White and Pink glow ant, and Super Blue Moonglow.

Red's been doing good, but I'd throw some green glow and blue in the tackle box too. Good luck!

Last week pink glow, white and purple glow, and a plain ole hook and minnow is what worked for us.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Funny how differnt folks have different colors that work. Although glow red has been a good color for me in the past. I have yet to catch a crappies on it this winter. Glow white, glow blue and plain white have been good colors for me this winter.

anyone ever try swedish pimples up there? I have used them at other lakes and they have worked well for crappies and walleyes. I use the smallest ones available.

Jimmy, thats petty much all I use up on Red. As far as colors last year it was white with the floresent red in the middle. This year floresent green seams best.PS minnow head only. Blue

Ya, I know a couple local guys who swear buy them and not only the small size try a #3 with a minnow head. They also attract 20#+ nothern.

I have just used them up at mille lacs this year caught almost 50 walleyes myself on them. The jumbo perch seem to love them too. When you say florecent green do you mean with a silver backround?

red glow frostee jigs caught 20 slabs for us last saturday. grin.gif

when you say frostee jigs do you mean the ones with the trebile hooks?

the ones with trebils are frostee jigging spoons and will work but the ones we use are the single hook frostee jigs in glow red. hope this helps you. darren

Thanks Darren! I think I got some of those in my box also. I just feel alot safer with trebil hooks! Lost too many fish on single hooks. Were you using full minnows?

The color was lime green.But more important than color was location,location,location. If you dont mark fish move.

full minnows and the bigger the better. small minnows the little perch would be all over it. the crappies would hammer it. they were very aggresive for us.

What time has the bite been taking place? I usually go with a group of guys that only like to stay out on the lake untill about 8 O'clock. I have been trying to talk them into staying later for a long time. I have caught alot of crappies between 10 and 3 in the morning. Anyone fishing all night? Or do they only bite during the day up there?

Jimmy I have found the bite to be best at sunrise this year. In 4 trips this year I have yet to catch a slab at nite.As a matter of fact the last two trips nothing at night at all.But when the sun hits the horizon.....BLUE

I've been having more succes just at sundown 5-7 tapering off at about 8. And haved picked some up in the middle of the night 1 ish.

But I have heard some good reports on the morning bite

Thanks for the help guys! I am going up next weekend for our annual father son fishing trip, about 20 of us. I have only caught one slab in the past 2 years. I want to spend more time fishing then drinking up there for a change!! But, it's hard not to drink when you only catch one fish all weekend!!