• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shack Floor Ideas?

percherman

Question

I have a 8x8 portable shack that folds to a 4x8. I have everything ready up top, that came as a kit. The base calls for 5/8ths plywood with 2x2s for reinforcement under the floor between holes. This is all held together by 1x4s on the outside. My friend built this same shack and it is a tank. I am looking for a way to shed pounds off this shack by using different materials for the base without loosing the stability and strength.

Any ideas are welcome!!

8 answers to this question

percherman,

I don't mean to be a smart a.., but thats why people buy the poly fish houses. They are strong and lightweight. Anything lighter on the bottom will result in failure when placed on uneven ice or snow. Good luck.

I have a poly 6x8 shack that is worn out. Holes in the bottom from dragging,nylon shell has holes,zippers worn. That is the reason for upgrading to something a little more heavy duty. I guess I will have to suffer the weight and have a shack that will last as long as I am fishing. I have a two man clam when I need or want to be mobile.

I have a 6x8 suitcase style fish house i use when i know i'm not going to be moving around. It works great! I have 1/4" plywood as a floor...which sits flat on the ice...so no 2x2s or whatever bracing the floor...not needed...plus adds weight.

If I were you, I'd go with something light...and not use any bracing. The ice will brace the floor as long as you clear a flat spot...which is never a big deal.

Do you ever have trouble with it freezing to the ice or snow? What did you use as the sides to attach the plywood to?

Thanks for the info.

No trouble with it freezing to the ice. It's normal to have to break away the snow/ice you use to bank the shack, before you fold it up...but that's no big deal...usually all that takes is just a couple kicks with the boot.

I used 2x2s for the framing of the floor...but the 2x2s are on top of the floor...if that makes sense. (They are not in between the floor and the ice.) The floor is just screwed to the bottom of the 2x2s. The fishhouse canvas is attached to the 2x2s, and so is the pipe framing that holds up the canvas.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I have the same type of house. Weight can be an issue because I fish with my wife and need to get it on top of the Yukon. I also use 1/4 inch plywood for the floor; it work really well. No supports are put onder the floor. Level the area and that is all you need. For the sides I use 3/4 inch pine cut cut to a width of 2 inches. Plenty of holding power for the pole in the center. One other thing to think about is the holes. Many people put the holes in the 4 corners, that makes you fish back to back. Place two fo them in opposite corners and the the other two are in the middle of the house with one on each side of the hinge and diagnal from each other. I hope this make sense. Now when you fish with two people you can sit in opposite corners. It is easier to fish and makes more room in your fishhouse. Plus, the heater can go in the middle of the house and be out of the way. I hope the diagram below makes sense. X's are the holes.

|X |X |

| X| X|

Otts

I get what you are saying otts and have seen quite afew that way.. I think the diagram would make more sence if you did it like this.

1x 1

1 x1

1x 1

1 x1

or maybe not. crazy.gif