• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rookie question: Extensions?

Turkeynate1

Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed before on this thread, but I couldn't find any recent info on it. Will I need an extension for my first ever March 10th trip to Uppper Red Lake? If so will a 12" do the trick.

Any other helpful tips for a virgin URL fisherman would be helpful. Thanks guys!

Nate

You already have a 12 incher? BRING IT

Got a 20 incher? BRING IT

Got both? BRING 'EM

OK, now I have a question regarding extensions.

If you own one, can you give one good reason why you WOULDN'T bring it?

Forgetfulness is my only reason (and that was ONCE in the last 6 years).

I think that was the long way of giving a very short answer. Yes!!! Bring it and 12 inches should be good enough, unless you really find some rough ice.

Thanks for the info guys. I should have elaborated a little more with my question. I currently don't have an extension. So I was trying to figure out if I should buy one or not. Sounds like I need one. Only problem is I live in Iowa and since we've had an awsome fishing season down here (5 days on the ice to be exact) nobody has any around my parts. Will I have problems finding an extension at Cabelas? If so should I go ahead and order one from strikemaster? I remember a few years back when you couldn't find an extension up north. They were like gold. I just want to make sure I can get my hands on one. Thanks guys

Quote:

I remember a few years back when you couldn't find an extension up north. They were like gold.

We all learned our lessons that year. grin.gif I ordered mine from Strikemaster and was told it was on a ship, in a container, on the way over from Sweden. Now thats what I call fast shipping. grin.gif

That was the same year I bottomed out my Strikemaster WITH an extension on Lake of the Woods. blush.gif

For the record, I didn't need an extension last weekend and I augered lots of holes in lots of different spots, including through the floor of my permanent shack. Another 3-4" of ice though and you are gonna need it.

Quote:

I think that was the long way of giving a very short answer.

Ya, it probly was. The sad thing is, I practiced a lot of restraint while typing it; or it would've/could've been a lot worse.

Sorry Raven if you haven't seen it before on the Red Lake forum; (it's nothing personal) but if you go back far enough, you'll just find that "the extension question" is often a running joke around here.

Anyhow, between Paul being serious and me being a clown, ya probably got as good an answer as you could (short of one of the full time Red Lake guides putting forth some specific info).

Thanks for the heads up Desperado. I'm sure I'll take a ribbin for it being a rookie on URL and all, but I'm pretty tough skinned. I really appreciate your help though. Thanks again!

Nate

I was in Dr's Bait in Kelliher on Feb 19 and they had a five gallon bucket plum full of 12" strikemaster extensions. Take a allen wrench with you though, those are almost impossible to come by up there.

If all else fails, I have two 12's and a 20. I could be convinced to part with one of my 12's. I'm gonna be in Russ's sleepers the night of March 5th and could make arrangements to leave a 12er somewhere for you.

Hey Raven & Nate,

Iowa, now that is farm country and here is what I did. I found a good black-smith a.k.a. welder, anyone who works on farm equipment and I had him make an extension for me. It took this guy about 1/2 hour on his lathe an I took it home and painted it and works great...Just an idea.

It is simple to make one yourself. All you need is a pipe the same diameter as your auger and a drill for the fastening bolt. Of course you will need another fastening bolt for bolting the extension to the auger. A simple means of fastening is a bolt with a locknut for mounting near the auger.

Dr Tackle should be able to help you out, he came through for me in the clutch last year. That's now my main stop when I head to URL! Heck of a nice a guy and willing to help you out, can't ask for much better service. Had to change my blade up there last year and didn't have the tools or the blade, he did, and he even put it on for us!

forget about all that my guess is you will be going by a cabellas gander of some sort on the way up. they should have them they are only 20 bucks. was just at a gander and they had plenty of them maybe on sale too so i would put forth the twenty and just get one. if you dont use it ever again it works great for clubbing cats or carp or your friend who drops your rod down the whole.

the ones in Kelliher were only $22, support the local bait shops.

Just to add on to what Hanson said about the recent ice.....and others up for slabfest. I owuld not have needed an extension in the area that we fished for slabfest, maybe 18-20" of ice, but over at Mort's (only 1.5 miles west) I found almost 30" of ice or more and buried my auger. It wasn't rough ice either. With the 12" extension I was able to get through. I found my extension last week at Gander MOuntain in Maple Grove and all GM ice fishing stuff was 25-50% off. Was $18 before discount.