• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting the itch!

I don't know why, but I'm just dying to go goose and duck hunting. Is it just me or is it happening to you too? Already planning on what to add on to the decoy spread. Only 7 more months and they'll be comming in feet down smile.gif

I hear you there Catmaster! The only bummer about September 30th is... I was just asked to be in a wedding that day as a groomsman. Man does that suck. My buddy doesn't hunt so it didn't matter to him, but I might have to miss opener if the Sept 30th holds as the day. Just looking at your location, New Ulm, isn't St. James/Butterfield somewhat close to there? That is where the wedding is...If so, I might have look you up once the time comes near and possibly have you shoot me some advise on a water hole over there, maybe I can sneak out before the wedding.

To help with "the itch" I always head to ND for some spring snow goose hunting. Land access is pretty easy and the hotels are cheap. Just watching every type of waterfowl in full color working in the same areas as the snows is worth the trip.

jeff

Boy is it hard to find waterfowl toys this time of year. I'm stuck looking on the computer and not in stores. It's not quite the same when you can't hold the decoys though. blush.gif

I've got a boy that's going to be old enough to hunt this year for the first time and he's already bugging me about it. I can't wait for his first bird to fall. grin.gif

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

You guys need to fill that craveing hunting snows in the Dakota's. This is what I have been doing for years. I will warn you once you start you become hooked and you wont be able to stop! grin.gif Seriuously give it a shot it's a blast.

Yea, new ulm is in that area, I hunt with Catmast alot, Lake Hanska would be in the St. James area, we hunt there alot, kinda crazy on the opener though...

I would love to try snow goose hunting, but at 18 years old I just don't have the money for snow decoys etc. Maybe someday though.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Cat- I have been there. It's tough when your that age and the funds are tight. You may want to look into forming a group, this is what I did when I first got into it. This is the best and cheapest option. Everyone add's to the pot with decoys and gear and the cost gets cut-down bigtime. We also shack up in cheap motels bring food and grills and carpool to cut costs. We have been adding decoys slowly every year and we have established quite the spread. Don't be intimidated by people saying you need huge spreads I have shot snows over 100 decoy spreads. Look into pass shooting all that is required is to gain permission between feeding fields and a box of shells. It can be tough but you will find success when conditions are right. If nothing else get a couple guys and take a drive to the Dakotas in the next few weeks just to witness the Migration it is something to see.

Let me tell you guys something, even if you can't go to south dakota to hunt in the spring, just try to make it out there. What you will see is a lifetime experience. you will see snow geese in every direction, the ponds are covered with pintails, widgeons, gadwalls, blue wing , gr wing, redheads. most people will never see or hear speckle belllies but out there you will. trust me take your wife or girlfriend and jsut go for the ride, it is only 3-4hours away.

AGREED!!!!

The spring migration of snow geese should be something EVERYBODY (hunters and non-hunters a like) should experince in their life!!!

We took some video last year of Lake Thompson (central SD) durning the peak of the migration.....I've showed it to many of my non-hunting girl friends......the ones that aren't thirlled to watch something die......but even they were blown away with the spectacle cool.gif.

$45 for a license......sleep in your truck.....the rest is just shells and food......just go out and do it for a weekend in March......YOU'LL FIND GEESE!!! ask permission and do some sneaks......it's really not hard and it'll be a trip you'll never forget, I promise.

you guys talked me into it! We almost made a trip last year but I think this year we'll head out for 2 or 3 days and just end up trying to pass shoot and sneak...would prefer to hunt over decoys but as college students we have other things to spend money on (besides, building up the honker spread and buying stuff for the fall hunting season takes up enough funds). Can't wait to get on the open road! Next weekend looks promising...

SA/WDW

Has anyone gone with an outfitter to try this? I'm sure it costs big bucks but I'm wondering if your sucess ratio is drastically improved versus going solo?

Alright...who wants to take the initiative and form a group? I would but I've never done the snow goose thing, but it sounds like a great waterfowl fix....and I'm itchn' real bad!! I would be one of the first to sign up...I may even be able to borrow my sis's camper..could sleep up to four. It sounds like if you were going to hunt west MN...you might as well go a bit further into SD?

catmaster--I run into quite a few guys in NoDak who hunt out of there cars or trucks and drive around and jump geese---I do the same on some trips and it is a blast---all you need is 50 bucks for the licsence and gas,food,shells,etc----no decoys needed. Just wait till the reports say the birds are in(around DL is usually late march) and head out......it is definately worth the trip.

SLP----175 to 225 dollars per gun/day is about what you should expect to pay-----alot of guides do have access to better fields closer to refuges or staging areas but with snows nothing is easy or guaranteed.

jeff

Boy am I getting the itch. Just went out and bought a new SBE II in the max 4 cammo. Duck season can't come soon enough.

Jumping pi$$es a lot of people off, but to each their own I guess. Shooting into a flock of white and picking up cripples for an hour doesnt really sound like fun to me.

Its just hard for ppl that dont have a lot of access to land and decoys to be able to decoy them in. I would love to be able to be under a tornado of snows, but will be happy to get out and shoot some in an manner.

Flick, I agree that some people get ruffled from jumpers.

Lets not turn this into a huge debate on this thread again this year.

All I can say is I prefer by far the average to good day in the decoys over a good to great day jumping myself. Watching them tornado right above you...

With that said, out of 15+ trips out of state to chase these white buggers, I can say in the spring we often end up pass shooting and jumpshooting since time constraints and poor decoying often change our plans.

If your a decoyer, pass shooter, jump shooter like myself, lets remember we are all on the same side (hunters vs. antis) and show respect towards each other this year. If people are already sneaking up on flock lets not crowd them or rush to bump the birds out of spite. Aim for the whiteys if in doubt. Always look HARD for cripples. Don't dump carcasses in bad spots. Give the decoy hunters a break and don't cut them off or bump the roost if someone is set up near it.

Some of the best spreads have been when we have combined forces with other buddies and hunters, so go talk to the other guys in the area and if they seem decent invite them to join up and make the motherload spread instead of competing side by side...

Most importantly lets always, always get permission to enter private land.... I know ditch wacking is legal in SD but my most memorable shoots have been out in the section, not laying next to a road.

Gorrilla, yeah I totally agree, not tryin to start an argument.