• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Making Bobber Stops

GottaGo

Does anybody tie their own bobber stops? I was recently looking at one and they look pretty simple to do. I figure I could save a little money and kill some time in the off season if I learned how to do tie them. Does anybody have any tips for doing this?

There is a kit you can buy that has a special tool and some straws. It works great! The string that is used is a much thicker material too. And it come in a bright color so it's easier to see.

For years, I was using thin rubber bands. Cut so that they are a rubber string, tie to line, snip both end and off you go. You could easily get 4-5 from one rubber band.

The only negative is that they would pop off the line after a while if you were constantly reeling them on and off the reel.

My old man made a hole bunch of these in the off season last year. Not sure what his trick was. I know for sure he didn't buy a "kit" of any sort. And honestly, I took it for granted because he made so many of them, I am not expecting to run out in many, many years to come. I will ask him where he got his info, tricks or trades and pass it along.

I found the stuff in my box. It's made by Du-Bro. It's just straws, knot material, and a knot tying tool. (No.1152). Very easy to make these.

Do you know what kind of string is used? Would it be possible to make them with dacron fishing line (say 50 lb test)?

You can buy a kit about anywhere. Once you run out of straws, the next time you are in the bar put a few straws in your pocket, they work pretty well. With them you can tie them on the long straw then cut'em off as you tie them.

In a pinch you can use dental floss. Works great.

Dacron works well for bobber stops. I carry the line for stops in my tackle box and another spool in the boat. I tie them up as I need them. I think it's alot easier to tie them directly on the line than to thread the line through a straw and all that other nonsense.

Tom B

There is not much to it. Infisherman had an article years ago about it. They are not much harder to tie than any fishing knot. The advantage to tying them directly on the line is you do not have to retie everything when you realize you forgot to put the bead on first. (I admit it happens to me all the time).

If you use icebuster bobbers you dont need a bead.I use the duo bro line and knot tying tool.Works great,I had my wife tying them when i went icefishing three years ago and I still have a ton left. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I have always used leftover tip-up line from the season and straw from a bar or perkins (the little stir straws), works great. The knots are a little hard at first but after awhile you get the hang of it and you can start cranking them out.

there are a couple different knots you can use for bobber stops. The no-knot(think its what its called) is the fastest to tie.. I have no idea where to get a picture.

Use Fly Line backing for the line. It is flourescent braided Dacron. The lighter guage stops are 20# Dacron, the heavier ones are 30#. Most fishing the lighter ones are ideal so they dont hook up on the guides.. it doesnt make much difference on heavy tackle(pike, etc).