• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First Timers to Superior (out of Duluth)

Hey guys, a buddy that I work with, and myself are going to be heading to Superior for some open water fishing this spring and summer, hoping to chase some salmon and trout on the big pond. Being this will be our first time out there, are there any good places to start? Time of the year? Tactics / presentations that work better than others?

Not trying to get exact locations, or anything like that, but some information to help us out. Mostly be hitting it on the weekends if time allows.

My buddy has a boat that he is currently rigging with downriggers, and the such, so that isn't a problem, and he has fished Superior and Lake Michigan over by Michigan, but he doesn't know the Minnesota part of the lake, however, I myself have never fished it before at all.

Please feel free to post any information that you feel would help us out on finding some fish. Take care, and thanks in advance.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Fishing is good on the Duluth and Wi side right off the bat in April/May. That time your year your going to have the best chance at a mixed bag of trout and salmon. The riggers may get some use at the time but your going to want and get setup with planner boards because a lot of the action will be on top then and for some time to follow. Stick baits are also the main stay in the Spring. Long A Bombers, ReefRunners and RipSticks are a few poplar choices. Patterns and colors change a lot out there so I can't give comment on whats the next hot bait, purple and pink were good last Spring. Back to the boards, their main purpose is to get you spread out. You can get by with the in-line boards but if you plan on spending much time out there you really should get a mast and set of trolling boards. After a while you might find you'll be using both styles to enhance your spread.

Keep an eye on this forum and when its time to get out you'll know. You will also get an up to date report on where and whats working.

A lot has to do when you actually come as ST mentioned. To cover your basis have downriggers, dipsy divers, and board lines. This will get you into the basics. If you need more info look up my website -minnesota-charter-fishing (dot) com. Go to the fishing report page. Should give you an idea of where to start looking. You might even try giving me a call, but I'll probably be on the boat.

The Western Lake Superior Trolling Association (WLSTA) is hosting a Lake Superior Fishing Seminar on March 11 in Superior. You can find out details about the event from their website, do a search for "WLSTA" on a search engine and you should find it.

Moderators: Can I post the direct link to the PDF for this seminar, or a link to the WLSTA web page?

Cashcrews

cashcrews, you got mail.

If your thinking about getting into Trolling Superior, attending the WLSTA Lake Superior Fishing Seminar would be full of invaluable info.

Also use the search function here and you'll find a wealth of info thats been posted over the years.

Western Lake Superior Fishing Seminar Info

here

Sounds like fun.

Tom Pfister was telling me about this seminar at the Kiawans contest. I'm planning on going, who else is thinking about going?

I plan on being there more eyes and ears wont hurt. And I need a good education.

Im also hoping to get there. Never know I might actually learn somthing new from Tom. wink.gif It should be very informative from what Skipperskid (Tom P.) was saying about it. Anyone who is new to the game or is looking for new ideas should check it out. I think they will have a few small and big boats there so people can see how guys rig them differently.