• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am relatively new to the lake, although I have been a regular visitor for a couple of years now. I have trouble finding muskies during the first couple of weeks of the season. I don't want anybodys spots I am just looking for generalizations about their location at this time of year on vermilion. Is the west end better than the east end? Should I be fishing shallow water bays or will the fish already be relating to open water rock structure? I am just looking for some general tips to make the first couple of muskie trips more productive as I have not been able to locate 1 muskie during the first month of the season. From what I have read I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeramy

53orbigger I don't ask for much!

West is not better than east, just a bit different.

Fish are all over, but eaters can be in smaller areas of good eating water with simple cover close by.

June is tough only in the sense that one tends to look where one found them in July or August.

Opener can be the best fishing of the month as these fish have not seen a big lure for sometime.

Many things you can do to find them.

Many lures work also.

Think of all the wonderful places you find while looking for them. smile.gif

Cover lots of area until you find fish then work simular areas with lures you got them to follow or eat. cool.gif

They are there and they will eat.

June rocks once you crack the puzzle and the pieces are different each year, but then again much the same.

The hunt is for sure what it is all about here.

If it was easy, everyone would be good at it.

shocked.gif

Enjoy it all.

wink.gif

T.

53orbigger,

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota!

Your question can be compared to "what numbers will win the Powerball this week". smile.gif Seriously, on a lake that size and with so many variables the best advice is to hire the guide that posted the first reply to you, Tom Wehler.

He has the experience, and from everything I hear you will have a blast and learn a TON about muskies, fishing Big V, and more. Check out his site and plan on investing a few bucks in a day or two with him, I know I am! Check out his site, you'll be glad.

Chris

with the amount of fish in vermilion...there usually is a way to locate the species you want.....yes a guide can help.....cut to the chase as they say....will be much fun on vermilion this year!!!!!

Tom is right on with the beginning of June being better than late. We have done well here at the resort fishing shallow bays, as there still seems to be a lot of fish in those areas. Points of bays heading out to main lake has also been a key spot. I do downsize baits and have done well doing that this time of year. A large Bass style spinnerbait or regular Zara Spook have been good producers for us.

Doug

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am sure it will be another great year on Vermilion even if the fish don't cooperate. grin.gif

Thanks again

Jeramy

53orBigger thats all I ask!

• 3 weeks later...

Area is a funny thing!!!! (spring) THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX!!!!! I use smaller lures and ones I can slow way down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you do not want to hear this but I do not really target Musky on Vermillion but I seem to have a real ability to find them. When found for the most part they have been pigs. Downsizing your presentation might be a good idea and fishing at dusk or later is another good idea.

I have had many musky nail my number 7 perch shad rap at dusk or later. I also know a guy on the lake and he fishes for the big girls Mid-night to sun up and has reported many 3-5 fish evenings under the lite of the moon. Of course this person in paticular targets muskies and he has told me on many occassions that fishing the night shift for Muskies is some of the best Musky fishing I guy can find.

Oh, I thought that was the only place on teh lake there were NEVER any fish. Just ask Homer J and Barney Toonder! smile.gif