• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snowmobiles and Trout Lake

I was under the impression Trout Lake was off limits to sleds but I saw a lot of tracks going past the second sign on the portage last weekend. I turned around and left, wanting to error on the side of caution. Am I wrong on this or are the guys that kept going doing it illegally?

Thousands of acres of fresh snow is too tempting for some.

It is illegal, but it is a regular occurance.

BTW-have any of you taken the little trail into Pine Island that gets into the 2 little lakes on Pine? It is very pretty w/ a HUGE forest of giganitic pines that tower up to the sky. Very cool.

wonder what fish are in those lakes...pine is a very interesting island....saw a moose back there last fall....heard there was a lot of neat stuff on the island....speaking of trees...my friend has a place in smart bay with some really old trees....we live in a great area for exploring.....my son is getting to the age that hes ready for some gold seeking trips on the vermilion river....he has a metal finder...as do i...good fun....

On alot of the bigger islands, they hold swamps or lakes like Dave B mentioned. On Hinsdale for example, there is a LARGE swamp with 2 feet deep of water in the middle. I walked thru it. We found a deer stand on our property smirk.gif and some other interesting stuff.

In the spring that water has to go somewhere. Ever hear running water but don't see a creek or river? That's why. The islands drain water.

You can see the lakes on a map, they are about 10 acres (guessing?) and the island slopes down to them. I heard there is bass and panfish in there, but I dont know.

I am sure it is private property, you enter near the Birch Point side. But after 100' you there isnt anything developed. Also, most of Pine Island is deserted in the winter.

Speaking of rumors and gold, when is that money going to be found on Pine? Isnt there a story about a treasure that was dumped somewhere on there that was never recovered?

You guys really have my interest going now. A few weeks ago Stick and I went exploring on those trails on Pine Island. To get on the island you need to go to the north side, in the "arm pit" of the island (where it get real wide) - there is a swamp back there, its state or federal (?) land, I believe. The trail goes onto the island. There are a number of intersections, to get on the lakes take the 1st left and 2nd right. Just before you get on the lake there is a steep hill, watch out for ice.

To get off the island you can go across the smaller lake and right out on to Vermilion, but to me that way is kind of creepy since you have to cross private property. I would not want sleds going by my cabin. The other option is to go back the way you came, up the steep hill.

The panfish and bass comment was really what got me interested, I was debating bringing my portable out there and using the camera. maybe an adventure for next winter.

If someone can help me post a pic or 2, we took some great shots of the lake.

Quote:

You guys really have my interest going now. A few weeks ago Stick and I went exploring on those trails on Pine Island. To get on the island you need to go to the north side, in the "arm pit" of the island (where it get real wide) - there is a swamp back there, its state or federal (?) land, I believe. The trail goes onto the island. There are a number of intersections, to get on the lakes take the 1st left and 2nd right. Just before you get on the lake there is a steep hill, watch out for ice.

To get off the island you can go across the smaller lake and right out on to Vermilion, but to me that way is kind of creepy since you have to cross private property. I would not want sleds going by my cabin. The other option is to go back the way you came, up the steep hill.

The panfish and bass comment was really what got me interested, I was debating bringing my portable out there and using the camera. maybe an adventure for next winter.

If someone can help me post a pic or 2, we took some great shots of the lake.

LundExplorer-I assume you have your pictures already saved on your computer. You need to go to a website that publishes pictures, upload them to the site, and then right click on the image and click properties. Then copy and paste the image location to a post and add tags ie: insert photo location here

And if you start a new thread with pictures, I will post some too because I got a bunch. A vermilion slideshow if you will.

Step by Step Instructions: http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=605617&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1