• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi,

Anyone out there been fishing for any tullibee. I have not fished them for a few years or so, used to get some dandys on Lida, Franklin, sally and Pelican, also Pickrel. If anybody

been out or can help me out, i would appreciate it.

The only info I have on that White Fish is that we catch them every year on Long Lake by Vergas. You have to be there at the crack of dawn and they quit by 10 a.m. -- that is the time we usually make it out. mad.gif

I havent gone for a couple years but plan to this year. Before I went around So. ottertail co. Now I will have to find a spot further north around DL Pel area.

They are sure fun to catch......if they are biting. smile.gif

yes they are so much fun to catch. i go up to dl every year in march and we fish them. Last year it was lida we caught about 30 of em one morning. but the bite didnt last long. Im hopin i can find em this year again. any info would be appreciated

buckmaster 89 wondering if you could help me out. i'm about 2 hours away from your area. looking at coming up march 12. wondering if you could tell me what lakes would be good, where the lake is located, and where to fish on the lake. are they biting early in the morning. any info would be great. thanks big eyes laugh.gif

Dahitman, I always see a few tulabees when spearing. I also hear great stories about catching them but have no clue on how to go about fishing them with hook and line, could you give me a basic run down on what you do to catch them, when to try, what time, bait,depth and all that stuff. Appreciate it a ton. Krebsy cool.gif

as far as the tullibe bite this year it has been slow so far this year talked to some guys on lida and there finding them but there not biting if the snow starts melting soon things should pick up as far as long goes ive heard from guys that live on the lake that the tullibe had a pretty big die off last summer so dont know what thats going to do to the bite.

Well guys, all i am going to say is that THEY ARE BITING!!! laugh.gif

Andrew Shae

Tullibee 101 -- Your host !0-inch walleye slayer.

I am by no means a professional white fish hunter, but this is how we have done it.

First, go buy a few northern spoons. Colors could be red and white, green, gold -- those are the colors we have used. Get a good sized spoon. Not a small one. Remove the hook from the spoon. Be careful, those hooks hurt.

Next, tie a swivel on the lineand attach the spoone minus hook. Then cut a piece of line about 12 inches to 30 inches and tie that to a swivel and attach to the bottom of the spoon. We use the 12-inch to 18-inch size. (Some don't put a swivel on the bottom, but that is how we were shown.)

On the end put a very small hook. Like crappie hook. This hook does not need to be fancy. Then attach a wax worm. Do not use other bait.

The mouths are small on these guys so no big baits or big hooks.

There are many variations to this set-up feel free to use what works for you.

A vexilar is pretty important. They are often in 50-80 feet of water and can be just 2 feet down or 30 feet down. Most of the time within 15 feet of the surface.

Jig it like a crazy man. Or woman. No, not crazy but you do want to stay on top of this. keep it moving.

I don't know why the fish won't hit the spoon, but they don't. They seem to respond with the flash.

This is a situation where you want to go where everyone else is. They are in tight groups. You don't have to drill right next to another fella, but you should stay in the area.

You also want to be there early. They bite at the crack of dawn and get worse as the clock ticks away. Sometimes 8:30 a.m. and they will be done.

Also a small split shot between the hook and spoon would be good.

Any other questions just let me know. Good luck. cool.gif

MR SHAE COULD YOU LET ME KNOW WHERE THE TULLIBEE ARE BITING. LOOKING AT COMING UP MARCH 12. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SAY ON THIS SITE E-MAIL ME AT [email protected] thanks big eyes

I'll tell ya where there biting... grin.gif There biting on the hook and hopefully that hook is on your line and not your buddies wink.gif And most important there in the lake probable swimming around in the water which one may need to drill some holes in the ice. grin.gif hehehehe Screw fishing lets just use TNT and make it more of a sport.

HEy MR. SHAE i was wonderin if you could toss me an email about where the bees are biting. It would be greatly appreciated but i would understand if you didnt want to share. Thanks alot, send to [email protected]

Last year we hit em hard on lida, they bit early in the morining and quit by about 8, they are an early fish, but so much fun. It is very hard to keep 2 poles going. They hit fast and dont last long so you have to be ready.

Mr. Shae better not start naming lakes otherwise my cus is definately not fishing with me no more.

Tullibee lakes.

Little Pine

Pelican-out from river access except you need to walk the shoreline first

Pickerel-Maine

Long Lake-Vergas

N Lida

Lizzie

Sallie

Mellisa

Big Detroit

Many Point

White Earth

Battle

Clitheral

Otter Tail

Several other smaller secret lakes!!!

and..................

LEECH. Find 30-40 fow on the big lake and you will find fish.

1. I use two flasher spoons(silver) than attach a one foot leader to a small tear drop jig with a waxie.

Alternate the jigging and exagerate the motion until you start marking fish. These fish can be at any and all depths so I like to vary. However starting at about 20 feet down in 70 fow is a good plan. When you mark fish, let it sit and wait for the it.

Oh yea, they stink up the place so warn the wife!!!

Good luck.

I found a lake out here with good numbers but they aren't going quite yet. Mid to late march is best, as is early morning before sunrise to about 9am.

When you guys get some -- post your results. See if Hammered or Hitman were helpful.

Obviously I am -- we can't trust those Packer-Backers from Wisc. grin.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

I can't even respond to that. Hitman, I lived in Minnesota for 27 of my 29 years. I think you got something wrong confused.gif! PACK SUCKS.

Anywho, I taught Fisherdog everything he knows, and he still is asking for my gps coordinates!!!

If you get the chance, go chase crappies with Peter, him and his long pole are a hoot!

Hammer, you're such a good teacher laugh.gif. Why not give up your coordinates, you can't use them in Wisconsin anyway. I have never fished for tulli's and can't see myself purposefully doing so. Hammer is right, I'm a crappie fisherman by heart and love using the long pole.

Fisherdog

Can you drive on Long or do you have to walk? Is there much snow? Thanks.

I wouldnt worry about the snow its the ice, we have a cabin out there and the ice isn't great.

Andrew Shae

O.K. BOYS CUT TO THE CHASE. ITS IN EVERYONES BEST INTERESTS AS FISHERMAN TO TAKE THESE "ROUGH" FISH OUT OF ANY LAKE. LETS JUST FOR ONE TIME ON THIS SUPER SECRET FORUM PLAY NICE AND SAY WHERE,WHEN, AND ON WHAT TO CATCH THESE TULLI'S. FOR GODS SAKES ITS A TULLIBEE NOT A WALLEYE.

tullibees are an important forage fish. they do no harm staying in the lake.

Quote:

O.K. BOYS CUT TO THE CHASE. ITS IN EVERYONES BEST INTERESTS AS FISHERMAN TO TAKE THESE "ROUGH" FISH OUT OF ANY LAKE. LETS JUST FOR ONE TIME ON THIS SUPER SECRET FORUM PLAY NICE AND SAY WHERE,WHEN, AND ON WHAT TO CATCH THESE TULLI'S. FOR GODS SAKES ITS A TULLIBEE NOT A WALLEYE.

eyes, i believe that hammer listed many great lakes to try. long and star are the ones i have been hearing about. waxies and little teardrops with some type of spoon as a flash will do the ticket. if you have electronics just watch to see where the blips are coming in at and set your lure at or above that.