• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marcum Charger Question

cybermuskie

Question

Say I have the LX5. Only had it out 3 times now. But here's my question: I charge it up to the 100% but then when I turn it on, on the ice, it reads 60% Then I will shut it off when I am done fishing and it reads higher than it was when on. Is this normal???

Thanks

15 answers to this question

Believe the reading when the machine is not running. It is a more accurate gauge when current is not running thru it. It happens to my LX3 all the time.

I figured it was fine, but I buddy of mine was giving me a hard time asking if it was going to make it!

The on ice reading has never been accurate with any of my MarCum unit DCS 100's but what is correct is the battery status after you have it in the house for a couple of hours and the battery is back to room temperature. For instance I was fishing my son's LX-3TC the other day and the last hours of the trip the battery was registering 0% and the unit was still operating perfectly. After I got home the cold battery warmed back up it and read 40% and that's how it's been with all my units fished from sun up to sunset.

I also have a question that can probably be answered in the booklet, but it's much more fun to read it here grin.gif

I leave my LX-5 plugged in when it's not in use. As soon as I get back, I plug it back in and leave it charging until I go out again several days later. I know that the charger is smart and will keep the battery topped off, but is this practice bad? Come ice out, should I top off the battery and unplug the charger from the transformer and battery, or just leave it plugged in?

It has a 3 stage charging sysytem to help protect the battery from over charging. I'm sure it will be fine if it's just week to week, but I would diconnect it if it's longer than that.

What's sweet about that DCS 100 is it's fail safe. I charge mine a couple of hours after I fish so the batteries room temp to take a solid charge then I do take mine off the following day after I get home from work, disconnect the battery leads and leave it unconnected till the next trip. That's just me, but I know a buddy that does the same thing you do and most times he's left it hooked up all week with no problem. So I guess it really doesn't matter...

I've been doing this for about 2 months now and haven't had any trouble as of yet. The battery still lasts all day with plenty of charge left, say 40-60% depending on temp, duration and features used. I think I'll start unplugging it next day, just to play it safe.

Thanks!

Where in the Twin Cities can I find an extra battery for my LX3? They had some at Fleet Farm but they wanted $38 for them.

I buy mine at Fleet farm for $16 or on sale for around $12. Not sure what's up with your fleet.. maybe check things out. Sounds fishy.

You can still get them at Gander on sale for 16.00 until 3/7. I just got two for my LX3's.

I'd make sure your looking at the right battery. I bought 2 when they went on sale at Fleet Farm a few months ago for $12.99 each.

Thanks guys. I went to fleet farm and the ones they had at $38 were for vexliars with a charger. They were sold out of the marcums. I am going to call Gander.

What is the difference between the vex battery and the marcum battery? Am I missing something? I would think as long as you have the right clips to slide on the posts you can use anyone of those batteries.

There's no difference between the regular MarCum and Vexilar Batteries. They are both 7Ah batteries. The Vexilar Battery that costs $38.00 is the Sportsman's Battery and Charger Set.

From the Vexilar Site:

The Sportsman's & Fisherman's Battery and Charger Sets:

These battery and charger sets are designed for sportsmen on the go, with rugged construction and design features that make it ideal for portable summer and winter use. Great for fly-in trips too. The supplied charger has a light that turns on when the battery is fully charged and it cannot be damaged by shorting or reverse connection.

Features

Leak Proof - totally sealed SLA battery.

No corrosive gas generation when charging.

Great for cold weather use.

Comes with specially designed charger.

DOT & IATA approved for shipment by AIR.

Exceptional deep discharge recovery and charge acceptance Maintenance free operation.

No electrolyte to check or water to add.

V-120 Sportsman's Set:

9 Amp/Hr Battery

800 mA Charger with Charge-Done Light

V-110 Fisherman's Set:

7 Amp/Hr Battery

500 mA Charger with Charge-Done Light