• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River Fishing

Hey hi to everyone on the Forum I am new to this all hope it will be fun, but that aside has anyone had and luck on the River this winter. I did real good on walleyes from Christmas on and absolutely hammered the cats but now that walleye season is closed I want to go back after the cats any spots any one knows of beside the dam.

Welcome to the Forum rattleL!

I'm just curious, is the water below the dam open all winter? I fish that area every fall but I've never been there past November. It's a long haul from Mpls.

Thanks, Vern

Vern, Yes the water is open below the dam all winter, I love fishing there aweek or two before opener for walleye's, they are fun to catch/release, and there are tons of them.

Getrdone.......

i have been in on hot spring and winter bites heard there was a great fall bite this year one guy told me he caught a nine pounder, my biggest is 23 inches, seeem to catch the biggest ones down river from the dam sometimes over a mile whats everyones biggest walleye on the river and whered u land it

For now, I was thinking more along the lines of channel cats. Probably would be a little slow right now anyway.

Quote:

Welcome to the Forum rattleL!

I'm just curious, is the water below the dam open all winter? I fish that area every fall but I've never been there past November. It's a long haul from Mpls.

Thanks, Vern

Vern it isnt that long of a drive at all I drive from hutchinson to dunwoody every week day for school,,, now expensive drive, try over $400 a month in gas ,, god I need to get a new engine in the Corsica

I'd be careful if you are catching walleyes a week or two before opener and releasing them. It's one thing if you are fishing crappies and just happen to catch a walleye. It's illegal to specifically target them even if you release them. I watched a CO give about 3 tickets for someone doing what you are referring to a few years back right by the dam.

Most people use a jig and minnow and bobber to fish, thats river fishing in hutch, can't really help if I catch 15 walleye to one pan fish, at least that's how I fish wink.gif

Getrdone..

Thanks for the info guys. Lund, you're right it's not such a bad drive but that gas money adds up quick with a big old truck. Anyone getting any cats lately? Vern

Nice cover up getrdone, but you said that you love to fish for walleye's 1-2 weeks before opener.

I agree that there are a lot of walleyes there in the spring, but to target them is illegal and the CO's should patrol this more often.

A few months ago I saw somebody fishing between 2nd and 5th avenue bridges quite often. They must been having some luck.

That was me fishing in between those bridges I did pretty well u had to finesse em and work hard but i got fish

I saw you down there all the time. What was the size of the fish you were getting and what was your biggest this fall/winter in that spot?

i actually was at the dam and the bridge spot all winter the walleyes by the bridges were 14 inchers occainsonal 16-17 I caught 2 21 inchers below 5 avenue bridge on a secluded spot

rattleL, do you get them under the 5th ave bridge all summer long or only in the fall/winter. I thought i have fished the whole river in hutch and I guess I've missed a spot or two out there.

I fish west of hwy 7 all the time, mostly in lake campbell. Some on south grade road but not much there.

winter bite but yea i was at dam alot catching cats u probably know who i am maybe will meet up sometime at the river sounds like we each would have some tips for each other