• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WCHA Final Five Schedule

tashit

How do they decide who plays the early and late game on Friday? I thought the #1 and #4/5 seeds played the afternoon game and the #2 and #3 seeds played the night game. Now I'm told that the Gophers always play the late game no matter what seed they are (they have been the #2 or #3 seed the past few years and played the night game). I did not get the ticket pack and just want to make sure I get tickets to the Gopher game Friday. That is of course assuming they win in the first round. wink.gif

The #4 and #5 seeds play each other in the Thursday night "play in" game and then advance to play Friday late afternoon and Minnesota would play in the 7:00 game.

I hate to say it, but the Goph's are looking pretty good coming into the playoffs. Any predictions on this weekend against the Dogs? The rivalry itself is usually enough to make it competitive, but the way Duluth is playing right now, it could be too much too soon.

Isaac Reichmuth has been tough on the gophers! With that being said, I'll say Gophers sweep the dogs... 5-2 and 4-2... bring on the NCAA's brotha! grin.gif

Quote:

The #4 and #5 seeds play each other in the Thursday night "play in" game and then advance to play Friday late afternoon and Minnesota would play in the 7:00 game.

But doesn't the #1 seed play the winner of the play-in game? So the Gophs would play the winner of the play-in at 7:30 and #2 vs #3 would then be the 2:30 game?

I've been going to the Final Five every year since it started at the X and if I remember correctly the Gophers have always been the #2 or #3 seed and played the evening game.

Yeah yeah, my fault I mis spoke in a way... the winner of the play in game would play Minnesota at 7:00 if Minnesota were to remain #1 seed... and they will.

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

Could the Gophers have an easier route to the championship game? No disrespect to the play in game winner, but they won't have as fresh of legs, they have already overachieved by just making it to St. Paul.... then they get the Gophers who have the home crowd cheering them on... I see a slaughter followed by a fun championship game against Wisconsin or the Flickertails.

The only two things I see working against the Gophers is that they are not playing to get into the NCAA's and they have been playing so well lately, they are due for some type of letdown. Otherwise, everything is working in their favor. Especially, their annual home ice advantage.

Rolly

I just can't believe that somebody with alot of money doesn't build an ice rink as nice as the Xcel in Saint Cloud, Mankato or Duluth... then maybe those teams could have home ice in the final five and I could stop grimacing everytime the "home ice" is mentioned.... It's just another reason these kids like to play at Minnesota vs many other schools... your going to play at the Xcel center every year and have a chance for a national title almost every year.

P.S. I hope the Thursday night "play in" game is a four overtime thriller. grin.gif

The venues in these towns are definately not what they are supposed to be. That said, there is ten teams in the WCHA. It's all about making money. You forgot to mention the buildings in Anchorage and Houghton. The only place you can have it(money being the decisive factor), is at the Xcel. If you wanted to be fair it would rotate, but that isn't going to happen. I think I just proved your point, Buzz. Your welcome. Let's have it in Achorage next year!

Rolly

PS-I'll still whine next year and every other year.

The Xcel is nice, but it doesn't compare to the Ralph. It's the nicest arena I've ever seen...I also think it's the biggest waste of money too!

Given that the WCHA is based in Denver, I'm surprised that the Final Five hasn't been held in Denver more often. The Pepsi Center is an NHL arena, and would certainly serve as a reasonable venue.

I think there would be some issues with getting a good crowd to Denver for the Final Five. The Xcel has been sold out every year and it's because there is such a strong fan base here and many closer schools. All that's in Colorado is CC and Denver and they don't have as many fans like us here in MN. Plus there are so many WCHA schools within driving distance of St. Paul. You've got the 4 MN schools, UND, and WI all within 4-5 hour drives. Not that I wouldn't make the drive to Denver but I think a lot of people from this region wouldn't go if it weren't so close. I'm sure they would like to have it in Denver but it's always about the $$$.

I just hope the Gophers were playing down to give the Badgers a false sense of hope today, man we looked lazy! I remember what happened last time after Wisconsin beat us... we went on a roll.... wishful thinking I'm sure.