• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille Lacs Crappies???

JIGGIN'

Is it almost that time? I would guess Isle, and twin bays would start up here pretty soon for those huge Mille Lacs crappies? Anyone go after em' recently???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• JIGGIN'

• Jimmy from Cottage Grove

• J Smith

there isn't any crappies in mille lacs. that is just a myth........tom fellegy

aahhhh the myth of the mille lacs monster crappie..... they are out there.

i havent been out since sunday but i can prove this myth WRONG. my las week of northern fishing in wahkon bay i saw a school of about 15-20 big slabs everyday,this big school in the very begginning of light and a smaller but respectable school right before dark. if anyone would want to post a couple pics i will show off 2 that i got sunday night. one 11" and one 14.5" 2 lb.

Quote:

i havent been out since sunday but i can prove this myth WRONG.

Why would you want to prove it wrong? crazy.gif

Hey Half2fish, were you over by Jacks Island again? I was at Scenic bay after the Perch Extraveganza last Saturday...There seems to be a big bug hatch over there. After that...Guess What? We'll be seeing some Slabs! In the mean time I'm going after the Smelt till the Crappies Start.

J.

I have seen the slabs in the scenic bay office. I wouldn't mind getting one or two of those bad boys.

They get alot bigger then that. In the Spring I had one up to the boat that went 5 lbs. plus. We thought it was a Bass at first so we were'nt ready with the net.

J.

I would like to look for some on tuesday, but am really unfamiliar with the lake. Also I don't know what I ce conditions are like, but I would like to go out of the bay in isle. Any ideas as to where these supposed slabs are??

Yeah im kinda thinking that a 5lbs+ slab is not possible.

The MN DNR website lists our state record black crappie at 5lbs. 0 oz. IMHO don't think there's one that big in Mille Lacs.

why not a 5 lb crappie in mille lacs? we all know there is a state record muskie in there as well as many state record carp - very well could be a state record small mouth bass as well and maybe even a perch that could push the scale quit close to a record. why not a crappie? we all know there are nice big crappies in there - just a matter of finding them and then timing. i think there is a very good chance of a crappie that big in this lake as well as a few other large boddies of water in the state......

If 14.5 inchers really weigh 2 lbs. then a 5 lb'er isn't out of the question.

i was in fact out by jack island. (or goat island, or mulvy island, what ever u prefer) just jiggin small minnows and a red glow jig. i dont really know if anyone believes me. but i dont really care. i have told people this and they tell me im lieing. they say if i found them i wouldnt say anything but i look at it this way. it is us against the fish, not us against each other. plus im not much of a crappie fisherman but they are fun to tangle with once in a while.

14.5 x14.5 x14.5/1600= a 1.9 lb crappie

inches x3/1600

I would like to believe that the state record crappie is there and here is why. The stat record white crappie was broken twice in one years time on a little lake right close to the metro called Coon. I have personally caught crappies by mistake, while fishing walleyes on Foerest that have gone all the way to 3 lbs. I would have to believe that with a larger body of water and with the fertile bays and all that 5 is not out of the question. If memory and the books tell the story right, isn't the 5-0 crappie out of the vermillion river? If you have all of the things to grow giant perch, walleyes and muskies, then is it out of the question to grow a huge crappie or two? The metro lakes are fished hard and a few slabs exist even here so why not in a fishery where a crappie is not the primary target of the angling pressure? I would like to believe, and given the size of the body of water, it could happen. Five is definately HUGE and four is also big but if there are 3lb crappies that can be had around here, I don't think a 4-5 is out of the question in Mille Lacs. Probability says that it is a slim chance and the genetics would have to be there too but afterall, isn't that why we all fish? The thrill of the tug on the end of the line not knowing what is there untill it is boatside or caught? Look at your panfish lakes that hold bull gills and huge crappies, the population is typically low to nil but the ones that are there tend to run big. It could happen on a lake near you............

Tunrevir~ grin.gif

I believe that there is 5+ pound crappies in the big pond. In such a big lake that carries numorous large fish, there has got to be many state records in that lake. Just that no one can prove it yet. ThAT day will come though. In the summer of 05' my bud and I each caught a bullhead. Everyone I talked to never heard of catching a bullhead out of this lake before. Just my opinion. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

While the lengthxlengthxlength/1600 is a way to approximate a crappie's weight I have not seen it hold true with the crappies I have caught. There is a thread in another formula discussing the over estimation of weight tied to this formula.

If this formula holds true for the crappies on Mille Lacs the crappies must be alot thicker/fatter in Mille Lacs than Upper Red Lake. I have weighed a least a dozen URL crappies on a certified scale that were between 14.5 and 15 inches and none weighed 2 lbs or even 1.9. I have seen many 1 lb 8 oz to 1 lb 12 ounce (1.5 to 1.75 lbs) but have yet to see a weighed 2 lb 14.5 or 15 incher. Could a 14.5 incher out of Mille Lacs weigh 2 lbs. Sure it could. I just want to see it with my own eyes. The proportions of Mille Lacs crappies must be quite a bit different than URL crappies.

On the other hand I have heard of 17 inch crappies coming out of Mille Lacs and those easily weigh 2 pounds or more. There are some hogs in there.

Mille Lac crappies are biting great right now. I caught 8 crappies all around 15 inches a few days ago... Ran into a school of Jumbo Crappies...

I am guessing you were near Isle Bay

Hey half2fish I believe you 100%, I know for a fact that what you say is true! I'm not one to B-S. I also have witnesses to this 5 lb. plus crappie. The day we had that one on we also caught 3 2 lb.+ CRAPPIES! You should have been there to see the look on our faces when we had that big Bull up to the boat. Man were we scrambling to get the net. We almost had it in-6 inches- or so from what I believe would have been a state record breaker. Let me know if you want to pursue this...I'll show you where to go in person. I'll be heading up this afternoon (Sat.) or Sunday for the entire day. I pursue these fish relentlessly every year.

[email protected]

J.

Jeff do you catch them all year round?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

In the weeds

No, I...like 95% of the rest, lose interest after the Walleye opener. I'll be concentrating on those and Salmon. I read today in the Minnesota Sportsman March 2006 issue, the article on Crappies. They're confirming what I've been saying about Mille Lacs Crappies. Pretty good points on the topic but a little too short. They list some other Lakes as top Crappie haunts also...Minnetonka, URL, Spring lake, Lake Waconia and a couple others.

Quote:

there isn't any crappies in mille lacs. that is just a myth........tom fellegy

Tom is a trouble maker..... grin.gif

He want's them all to himself..... cool.gif

5 pound crappies........ROTFLMAO.

The majority are 3/4 to 1 1/4 with a few at or around 2 lbs.

I suppose there could be a 3+ pounder out their.

Im heading to mille lacs tomorrow. I hope to get some perch, but that is a given. Is there anyone that can just tell me a general location, like Isle bay, or just out of wahkon?? I was at scenic bay a few weeks ago, and they said they caught some big ones out of the bay there last year. Just would hate to make the trip and upset the gfriend, if I am fishing the completely wrong area. Thank you very much for any GENERAL info. Oh and where is Jack Island???

Tom...I hope to see more of your posts. Until I catch a crop in Mille Lacs its a myth to me too. (Thanks for making that video a few years back, I refer to it all the time)

Ron