• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lifetime licenses

End of the Line

Since the MN fishing licenses expire this week, its time to renew. I thought I mind as well break down and buy the lifetime sportsman hunting-fishing this year. After going through the paperwork I noticed that the process generally takes 3 weeks. frown.gif So if your thinking about it and have the time keep that in mind. I sent mine out last week, but now I am stuck for a couple more until it comes in. Good thing my WI one is still vailid until the end of March. grin.gif

I should do this, it would pay for itself in approximately 20 years. No more purchasing liscenses after 45.

There are other advantages besides saving $ IMO. It is still valid even if you move out of state. You're out of reasons to complain about license fee increases. It makes (most) CO's happy when they check you. You get a couple other feel-good bells and whistles with the license - for whatever that's worth??

Seriously I am a proponent of the lifetime license and did purchase one 3 years ago.

The lifetime licenses became available March 2001. I just happened to turn 51 in March 2001 so I bought the Sportsmans, and deer lifetime license. I'll be hunting and fishing free (well not really there are equipment costs, lol) in about 8-9 years from now. I also bought my granddaughter a lifetime sportsmans license when she was 2. If you do the math, she could hunt and fish from 16 to 76 (60 years) for about $6.00 a year regardles of any license fee increases.

My son is recieving one for his 3rd birthday this year. A very good investment in my opinion.

My oldest son is going to get his too before Sept when he turns 3. Licenses increase on their 3rd birthday. Great investment.

Fees

Age Group Fishing Small Game Sports Firearms deer Archery deer

3 and under $227 $217 $357 $337 $337

4 to 15 $300 $290 $480 $450 $450

16 to 50 $383 $363 $613 $573 $573

51 and over $203 $213 $413 $383 $383

I have always been leery of "lifetime" anything. I am a strong believer in outdoor activities (hunting and fishing) as well as a strong believer in the NRA. I won't sign up for a lifetime membership since I then couldn't vote with my "dues" if they go in the wrong direction for some reason. This way, I can choose to support the cause on a yearly basis. I realize that I'll pay more over time, but overall it's real cheap. Anyone else feel this way?

Stick,

I agree with you on using your "dues" to vote when your talking about the NRA, DU, & PF (groups like that) but it is hard to use your dues to vote when talking about Minnesota liciences because the only way that works is if you sit out a year. The state would have to really make some drastic changes to get me to sit out a year of fishing or hunting.

Just my view smile.gif

This will be the third year since I purchased my liftime license. At the price I paid I will need to fish for 16 years to get my money's worth at current rates. Then it's the house's money, unless I come to an early and untimely end. Then who cares. I think it is a good deal in the long run.

I agree, the money I shell out for licences every year does not mean that I agree with the way things are being done, it only means that I will be able to enjoy the great outdoors we have here. With something like the NRA, Pheasants Forever I think it makes a little more sense.

I believe there was a post on this a year or two ago and there was a point brought up that if one would invest the $200 or $300 in something like a retirement fund, there was ablsoutely no comparison that you would come out ahead purchasing a license annualy instead of the lifetime license. This is, of course, assuming fees do not have some crazy price jumps or you do not move out of state. Because of this, even though I'm only 26, I don't think I'll get one unless I'm moving out of state.

I don't think a lifetime license would be a good idea for me. The way my luck runs I'd drop dead within a year.

So if you move out of state and become a resident of another state, your lifetime license is still valid?

On the flip side... the DNR loses money with lifetime licenses.. and we need to support the DNR and the costs of maintaining lakes, stocking lakes, enforcement etc etc.. if every angler in the state went lifetime, where would their revenue come from?

Don't you think?

slyster,

They do not lose money. The money paid for a lifetime license goes into a fund. Each time the holder renews (must be done each year) the DNR get the equivlant they would have received if you bought the license. In theory, the fund will never go dry. I don't know what happens to the $$ in the fund when you die.

Quote:

slyster,

They do not lose money. The money paid for a lifetime license goes into a fund. Each time the holder renews (must be done each year) the DNR get the equivlant they would have received if you bought the license. In theory, the fund will never go dry. I don't know what happens to the $$ in the fund when you die.

Sounds like the DNR's version of Social Security..... shocked.gif

Them getting the money every year helps me understand why the retired and disbled had to start renewing every year. It must work the same way for them.

Quote:

The lifetime licenses became available March 2001. I just happened to turn 51 in March 2001 so I bought the Sportsmans, and deer lifetime license. I'll be hunting and fishing free (well not really there are equipment costs, lol) in about 8-9 years from now. I also bought my granddaughter a lifetime sportsmans license when she was 2. If you do the math, she could hunt and fish from 16 to 76 (60 years) for about $6.00 a year regardles of any license fee increases.

Great for you and your granddaughter, but on a side note, what if she doesn't want to fish.. Doesn't enjoy fishing, then it would be a total waste. Dont you think? confused.gif

Quote:

I have always been leery of "lifetime" anything. I am a strong believer in outdoor activities (hunting and fishing) as well as a strong believer in the NRA. I won't sign up for a lifetime membership since I then couldn't vote with my "dues" if they go in the wrong direction for some reason. This way, I can choose to support the cause on a yearly basis. I realize that I'll pay more over time, but overall it's real cheap. Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, I agree, licenses are real cheap... Besides, even if i do pay more, it's not a problem.... I even donate money to help wildlife... Our licenses fees only goes to the Dnr and wildlife..... We all should contribute more for better fish and wildlife services....

If you guys invested in your childeren, better hope they have a career in MN, and not move to a different state some day LOL....Cause if that happened, the life time would be WORTHLESS....

The lifetime license is valid even if their children move outside the state...

marine_man

Yes valid even if you move out of state. I bought them once I move to ND for deer and fishing both. I broke even this year on my deer licence for what it would have cost me in Non resident licenses so it has been a good deal for me.