• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend Report

Got into a great panfish bite on west metro lake on Saturday. Got our for just a bit at dusk on Phalen to close out the walleye season. Glad I did. Got a couple smaller eyes and one that went close to 24". She is back in the water and will be there for someone during the open water. Jiggon Demon and fathead...

I tried some last chance walleyes at Riley. I had never fished there in the winter or for 'eyes, but I managed to catch three eaters and missed a few more. Great night to be out.

Went out for pike Friday afternoon on Lake Ann. Five on Ann between two of us, biggest 26", & a few more small guys on Como Saturday morning. My wife had to work all weekend so I didn't get out as much as I'd've liked to!

Hey Mr. Pike,

Was that between the beach and the boat launch then? I am glad that you hooked into some on Phalen....

I actually got out for the first time in months. We just had a baby girl last Wednesday....10 days overdue and 9 lbs 4 ozs! New little fishing partner....

Anyway- Hit South Center for the firt time this year Friday evening. Ice was a good 19"+ inches of which 16+ was clear. Excellent crappie bite between 5:00-8:00. FINALLY had enough for a good fry. Was so windy I could not get up for too long, my house would blow away!

We are coming into some of the best fishing of the year, maybe I will have the chance to see some FM'ers again.

Take care,

Jug

Went to chase some norts on Tonka. On saturday between 4 guys in 4hrs we had 18 flags, fish were between 2-4lbs. Went back sunday, had 13 flags for 3 guys, but we caught 2-6lb, 2-4lbs, and some smaller ones. It was one of the best weekends of fishing we've had in a long time. Great way to end the season.

Now bring on the crappies

Yep, it's panfish time! smile.gif Good to hear you got a couple of those metro eyes. I hit the big pond on Saturday and only managed one keeper. I saw them finicky eyes swim by the camera all afternoon crazy.gif, but they were pretty tight lipped.

Fishing my secret honey hole for the last time this weekend. Did well as usual....its really like cheating. Anyways, ended up with a limit of eyes and caught 5 pike. The biggest was 35", kept a limit of smaller ones. Left the lake early as I had someone waiting on me for supper. It started off slow moved to a new spot and in a matter of about an hour I had my limits...now thats fun. So, the season is closed, now what? Gonna have to find some panfish lakes here in the cities. I'm still laid off from work if anyone wants to chase some!

I believe your fish license is good until the 28th but the season closed on the 26th. That being said make sure you get the new license and shelter tag for the rest of the ice season.

Yes the panfish season is upon us for the next 4 weeks or so. I have found a true honey hole on a west metro lake where you can sit on the sunfish and crappies from sun up until you decide it is time to call it a day. The sunfish are in the 7-9" class and the crappies are 8.5-12" with a mix of whites and blacks. We also got one nice 10" perch. I will be heading to this local each week until open water.

I am for the most part a catch and release guy but I got directive from the wife that she wanted to have a little fish fry. So on Saturday I kept my first fish of the season. Kept 7 nice crappie and 3 sunfish. I had forgotten how good these pannies can be..I also was out of practice with the old fillet knife so it took me a few fish to get back in the grove.

Jug- I was actually on the other side of Phalen. When we were out for the Phalen event we saw some rocks on that side with a deep drop off. I thought it would hold some dusk walleyes I just never had time to get back there. It was a last minute decision that paid off. I walked out without a shack and was only there for 30 minutes. I think the best place on the lake for eyes would be either side of the saddle. However, I never did test this location. I may get out during the open water season a few times on Phalen. The lake is close to home and I know I can sneak out there every now and a again for a early morning run to get my fix in.

There are some very deep holes that I would think hold excellent crappie population but in brief time out for the event we saw nothing in the deep holes.

Yep, walleye, bass and pike season ended yesterday, but 2005 fishing (panfish) and shelter licenses are valid until the 28th.

I'm a new FMer and enjoy reading these reports and gotta share my own. Was out chasing flags on one of my favorite lakes in the west metro on Sunday and on President's day. On president's day, between two of us we caught nine northerns and three bass. Two of the bass were over five pounds!

On Sunday, three of us had 12 flags in 2.5 hours. Landed 8 fish. Biggest was 30 inches. Best part was, the guy who pulled in the 30 had never been ice fishing before.

All of these fish went back in the water so I can chase 'em with some topwaters this summer:)

How many more times do I have to read about your "West Metro Honey Hole" Pike? Name the lake or just shut your self-gratifying flapper about it.

As for my fishing, I already reported my day on Spring on Saturday on a different link. On Sunday, I fished Prior, group on the east side, 17FOW, bluegills were absolutely stacked under most holes, but the real nice ones were harder to come by - Had to sort like crazy to bring home 10 really nice ones. Talked to another guy who has been getting decent crappie action anywhere inside of the island over the 20FOW + area, but mostly after sunset, halfway to the bottom. For crappie fishing, I think the ones on Spring are a little bigger in general, but slower fishing.

fyi,wisc season is still open thru march 5th for walleye,northerns and bass,thats where i'm heading this weekend

* How many more times do I have to read about your "West Metro Honey Hole" Pike? Name the lake or just shut your self-gratifying flapper about it. *

That isnt cool tj417(quote button not working)... Making an attack on someone because they wont provide a lake name or gps coordinates isnt right.

Some of those west metro lakes all you need is a name to get a team of guys sitting in your spot and the fishery will not last long if word gets out. If you post too much info on this site you will be sharing your spot before long.. not only with forum users, but with the lurkers also. Many people just scan through the site looking for a hot bite. In this case, its going to be your spot(you gave plenty of info where to go), and the other guy is going to enjoy a quality fishing trip without a bunch of company.

I've found that if you are nice on this site that it will pay off and you will meet some new friends .... and that will lead to fish. Sometimes you'll share information with others on the QT, but most-likely is that you'll receive more updates/hotspots/information that you'll ever give. I treasure the contacts I've made on this website. I only wish I had more time to fish with all of the people I've actually met out once or twice.

Many people on this site will vouch for me.. I have no problem sharing fishing spots with others. I have met, and fish with many people from this site(usually my own spots) because I get more time to get out and fish and stay on top of the current bite. I will fish with anyone from a newbie, to a seasoned professional.. makes me no difference.. all that matters is that you enjoy their company... how many people dont we get along with when fishing?

I have been guilty myself of posting too much info to the public in the past. There is a big difference on giving general fishing information on a larger body of water, and pointing a horde of people to a small lake with an exceptional bite.

The generous deed of providing the info on a good bite is noble.. but your spot can get slammed in a hurry and suddenly the good opportunity is a thing of the past. You not only cut your own throat, but other people frequenting the spot are affected also.

Theres a huge difference between saying the walleyes are biting good on Waconia(3000? acres) in 20' of water on the rocks.. and a report that your slaying the walleyes on Parley(200? acres).

Has anyone else been haveing a hard time getting into the forms here or is it just me

Mr. Pike1 congrats on locating some nice metro pannies. Its sure is nice not having to drive hundreds of miles to catch them. I to have found some really nice metro crappies with many fish in the 11-14in range with some very nice 15+. It takes time but they are out there if you do your homework.

Well said That Guy I 100% agree! Its always nice to hear good reports from fellow fisherman that are having success. It just makes you want to go out and find the fish. I get disappointed when a somebody will post a hot bite on a 200 acre lake, because the lake will probably never recover from the extreme pressure. You'll never catch me out on one of these lakes fishing with hundreds of people shoulder to shoulder.

Just sharing some time on the water. I did share Phalen as a lake with good pike/walleye opportunities. My not sharing the "West Metro" lake is out of respect for the other FM member who turned me on to the hot bite.

The post was again not intended to boast or offend anyone, just sharing information.

Well said Pike. I do not share lakes or spots given to me by others either. It is simply not kosher to do so. Especially the smaller lakes. Wouldn't be bad to share depths, bottom type and techniques used but that's enough. Minnetonka is another story. Plenty of places and plenty of fish. I try to post enough info to help you guys get on fish. But even there I have certain spots and patterns I will not reveal.

Whenever I read of a hot bite, I immediately wonder if the person could be fishing the same lake as myself.

For example, say I know of a metro lake where I can get 9-11 inch crappies everytime out with a few 14+ inch fish mixed in to make it interesting. Now if someone else states that they are on a hot bite with similar sized fish, I can't help but wonder if that was the guy I saw the last time out. And if this was the guy, I would love to compare notes so that we both could learn something. Unfortunately, there is no way to get to this point of open communication without broadcasting the info. So what it comes down to, we all need to keep quiet.

Even communication on the water becomes difficult. There are regulars at the lake I'm refering to who will refuse to discuss how the bite is even if you are fishing the same breakline 10 feet away. I've seen these people dozens of times, even know their names, but ask them how they did and all you get is "a few small ones." Frustrating, yes. Important for the wellbeing of the lake, definitely.

Bottom line I am a fisherman not a fighter. I as well like to read posts to gain information and like to share the best I can. I have a couple of close friends and my father that I do a lot of fishing with. I have also met and fished with many great people from the FM site from the beginners to the pros. If I am ever on the water with someone I will do everything I can to assist them in improving there catch and satisfaction on the water. If I am getting schooled by another angler while out on the water you can bet I am going to pay close attention to their presentation and technique to improve my catch.

I agree with others that have posted that the small bodies of water unfortunatly can not take the massive pressure of hundreds of anglers hitting the hot bite like the big waters. I think we all like having a back pocket to go to metro gem to get our fix in.

I have found this year that I really like all of the custom jigs products. This years new jigging spoons have been an outstanding addition and a go to jig to call fish in and get the bigger fish in the group to hit.

In closing I must also must add that last year I found a "East metro" gem of a lake for Bass. I can get to the lake and be fishing in 15 minutes. Limited boat traffic and the 20" bass just in that lake are in love with a senko or a tube tossed at them under the docks.

HAHAHA!

We are just getting over the "west metro" lake debate and Mr. Pike throws out an "east metro" bite ... lets start it up again!

Throw everyone under the bus!

Green carp who cares? You can catch those rough fish in any body of water. grin.gif

That Guy... Very well put. I hope this link gets read by all FMers. Tact is a word that comes to mind. Out of excitement do not ruin your favorite or most convienant lakes. Some can handle pressure some cant. If you don't know if a lake in question could handle pressure, odds are it can't. Tell your closest friends but keep the details off this site or you'll soon not have a favorite lake and you'll probably read about your little honey hole in the O.D. It's happened to a few lakes around my area this year... Depressing. Good luck all. I'm glad all the perms are off. Gives me more room to work with.