• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Within the next week to 10 days as the weather begins to warm should kick the pannies into gear. The fish will start to move back to the shallow weeds from the deeper holes. If the weather stays stable and the ice stays safe the entire month of March can be awesome. In the Alex area I would look to Geneva, Darling, Louise, Mary and Ida. These are the lakes that I have fished this time of year and they can be hot. Minnewaska at Glenwood is also a good crappie lake and can kick out some nice sunfish as well. Good luck and hold onto your rod. Bill

I overheard that Lake Victoria?? is kicking out some good numbers of Crappies, in a bait store. Does anyone know where abouts to look on that lake and how to get on it??

Wondering about Ida for panfish. I'll be up house sitting on Ida for an aunt of mine most of March. Never fished the lake before and would like a tip or two pointing me in the right direction. Thanks for any help that gets sent my way!

RED

red ice, look for the people. It tells the story by itself. Look to the bays, possibly the Northern end of the lake. Tulibee fishing is also available and gets going around this time of the year. Good luck!

Little Ida bay can be very good and as was mentioned the tullibes are a hoot if you get into them. Try on the north side out from Buckhorn Point. We've fished them in 60' of water suspended at about 40'. Some real fun action on light tackle. Bill

bturck, I'll be up in Alex later this week for some panfishin. I have never ice fished up there so any pointers would be helpful. So, what do you use to catch a tullibee on Ida? and are they good to eat?

BigLaker: I have always fished the tullibees with the same baits I would use for panfish, waxies, small crappie minnows or minnow heads. they are very similar to whitefish, and have always had them smoked. They are pretty oily so I don't think pan frying would be too good, but then I've never tried it either.

I would target as a previous poster noted some of the bay areas. and try to find some weed cover and work the outside edges. If you have a camera that can be a useful tool, you may have to drill some holes and just do some hopping around.

Areas around reed beds can also be extremely good especially if there is a break or drop off reasonalby close. Looks like the weather is going to be pretty good, so it should be a fun day. Good luck. Bill

Here's a little tip on the Tullibees.. tie on a daredevil or a big flashy spoon minus the treble..attatch about 18 inches of 4 lb mono where the treble once was and tie on a teardrop or like jig with a waxie or 2... Jig this fairly agressive as the spoon looks like a school of feeding tullibees to other fish.. I usually have my best luck in 20-30 ft of water and they are suspended..when ya get into em its a blast!! smile.gif

YES them tullibees are fun to catch. I usually fish them up by detroit lakes and i didnt know they were in any lakes around this area. what lakes are they in and are they biting yet. any info is appreciated thanks