• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best smallmouth lake - Alexandria area

Hi guys:

Well this is my second posting. I am trying to make plans to come to Alexandria around the first week of June. I could use your local expertise to tell me the best smallmouth lake in the area. The DNR report says it is Minnewaska or Miltona. But I like the input of people who have fished the lakes. So which is the best ??

Carlos, Ida, Miltona, Minnewaska, Osakis ? Another ??

I am proficient in bass fishing and can adapt - just would like to catch bigger smallmouth than I have access to around my local area - A 5lb'er would be a bonus !!

Also if possible keep in mind the resorts on the lake and quality of stay as my wife is coming with me.

Thanks in advance -----

The DNR report is about half right. I don't think Miltona's smallmouth population is that prevalent. (They have some size...good shoulders to 'em...but not the numbers that 'waska has). Of the lakes you mentioned, I'd consider Ida the top choice followed by Carlos. Ida may be the best chance for numbers and opportunity at one pushing 20 inches. Some nice places to stay...and the public launches happen to be on the same road as the winery! a nice diversion for you significant other after a day on the water....

good luck and good fishing.

Ida is an up and coming smallie lake. There is a spring bite there but the areas to fish are very limited. Ida is known more for it's fall bite on smallies. Miltona has smallies, but not the population that waska has. Carlos, we see some smallies come in at tournament weight-ins, but only in the spring, Carlos has some smallies but they need a few more years to establish a good population. In the alex area I still feel waska offers the most reliable smallie fishing. Give Dean Beck a call, he is the area Fisheries Supervisor (320-634-4573) Glenwood Area Office.

I gotta tell you guys that I sure appreciate all your help. I knew I could count on this board for information that will make my trip much more enjoyable.

We start our tournament season on Sunday and I will be doing lots of thinking about my trip to Alexandria in June. Besides it will help my arm feel better from jerking those lucky strike s-90 rogues all day !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks - and thanks to anyone else who has an opinion or comment on our litle discussion..............