• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dang Bassmaster!

HawgTide

Those folks at Bassmaster are nuts. The new edition talks about Miss River! It even specifically mentioned Monticello and Elk River. There ain't nothin by nuclear waste and carp in that river!

KT will be getting another dozen orders by the end of the month!

So thats the reason I am glowing green I have been fishing the river all summer around elk river, monti. area LOL

I haven't seen it yet and I'm guessing it's not the article we did.

I got a verbal committment from them not to print specific locations. We agreed on Upper Miss / Central Minnesota.

But, like I always say: With 10K lakes to fish, who would want to fish that nasty arse river anyways? lol

I don't think there is too much to worry about. Most folks don't have enough cahoneys to run the river with all those rocks. smile.gif And those who do, will find out what rocks will do to a prop and hull, and leave it to us. laugh.gif

"My life on the river"

3 lower unit's, 1 on my 45 Merc and 2 on my 115 Yamy 4 stroke

3 skeg's, on the Merc

3 skeg's on the Yamy

2 skegs and 3 props on my 25 Merc

2 4 blade stainless props, not counting repairs

2 3 blade stainless props, plus repairs.

5 aluminum props, can't count all the repairs

The amount of lures lost over the years could stock Cabelas.

My hobby last year was watching the newbee's trash their prop's and skegs, at least 2 a week. shocked.gifshocked.gif

Many are called but most don't come back. smirk.gifsmirk.gif

Yep I really love this river, and will, all the way to the poor house. wink.gifwink.gif

By the way this is the original Mississippi Riverdog, his name was Bubba and he was 13 before he fell off the

front of his boat.

MississippiRiverDog600.jpeg.jpg

I have to say that I use a 12ft jon boat and I have had no luck with the rocks yet (KNOCK ON WOOD) all though I have come in contact with a few but never recked anything. Sounds like you racked up quite a tally of things LOL.

Riverdog

You coulda bought a RiverPro for all that money invested in repairs! shocked.gif

Even with the o/b jet I have had to pull the flat bottom duck boat across more shallow rock beds than I want to brag about, but then again I have only been on the river for 3 years. So technically I am a new guy.

KT, it wasn't your article. It's the article about what Major Metro Area has the best bass fishing. It talks about the lakes around the area and then mentions the Monti/ER also. Not a big deal, just kidding around.

I dont know Ive seen traffic at least triple on the river in the last 3 years, to much hype for a relatively small water (only something like 5900 acres between Cr Dam and SC Dam) Its a real good thing about the C&R regs so its not gonna hurt that bad

Anybody want to share in the cost of some signs?

Hmmmm. What would happen to river traffic if some signs were posted at launch sites warning of.........fish containing mercury......DANGEROUS currents, Dangerous rocks, broken glass, bla bla bla.

Could we scare off the newbies? Maybe? Could we scare off the ones that can't read english......NOPE. ok, forget it

Quote:

Anybody want to share in the cost of some signs?

Hmmmm. What would happen to river traffic if some signs were posted at launch sites warning of.........fish containing mercury......DANGEROUS currents, Dangerous rocks, broken glass, bla bla bla.

Could we scare off the newbies? Maybe? Could we scare off the ones that can't read english......NOPE. ok, forget it

That's Fonz fur ya...always thinkn' wink.gif

does anyone know where i can get some protectors for a small outboard motor that I run on the river. (skeg protector, prop protector, ect. ) ant info would be appreciated.

Snowmaster,

Cabela's sells a 'Rock Hopper Motor Guard' on their website. Kinda spendy but if you tend to tangle with the rocks it may be what you need. I spoke with a guy who was coming off the river as I was landing who had one and he said it 'worked as advertised'.

Also, I know a fellow in VA that builds a nice unit. email me if ya want more info...KT

How much are they? I have a 25H Merc short shaft. I seem to hit rocks often and with quite momentum shocked.gif

thanks for the info I will be ordering one right away. Thats more that I was looking for so it will work awesome thanks again

HT - which issue? I've got the "Classic Breakdown" issue where they talk all about the Classic, is it in that issue?

to all of you that don't know too much about river fishing the river does offer some of the best smallmouth fishing in the state. where else can you go without a boat and constantly catch 3-4 lb smallies one after another during the right time of year.

Fishon, Have you ever seen an overpressured river or lake?If you post something like that, then there will be 100 people fishing it the next day. Let's keep our little secret to ourselves so we can enjoy it. wink.gif

I agree. Lets be a little discreet.

If you brag about "3-4 pounders constantly", you won't be keeping that pace going very long. If it is true to begin with..... smirk.gif

The Rock Hopper in Cabela's does work as advertised. You certainly want one that protects the skeg, prop and the l. unit. I have built one similar to the Rock Hopper for years to run on my boats. It's taken everything I've thrown at it so far, even wide open at 30 mph. Keep in mind you will lose some top end speed. On my 15 horse I lost maybe 2-3 mph and on my 40 I lost about 5 mph due to the sheer size of it to cover the skeg. I don't know what KT's connection in VA has but it would be worth a look. Or....You could buy a RiverPro and your problems are solved. Good Luck.

You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

- Yogi Berra

THanks for the info I would like to buy a river pro but that might be a bit more than what I want to spend.

i want to give everyone else that don't have a boat a hot spot, plus im moving to nevada in a month

Troll... er...um, I mean Fishon21...what's your deal, stirring the pot huh? The least you could do is get your grammer corret "everyone that don't have a boat..." sheesh. If someone wants a hot spot let them find it on their own that's part of the joy of fishing - besides it's not a "spot" any more everyone knows about it...

Have fun in Nevada... Where are you moving? I grew up out that way and know have some friends that know some good fishing spots I could exploit for you.

with this state having 10000 lakes and countless rivers do you people really have any idea where all the spots i fish are?

NO but you might just be driving unwanted potentially dangerous traffic to a not so safe river, the river is nothing to mess around with, and if you dont know it your better off being very cautious around it whether it be wading or boating or even canoeing, things happen fast out there (especially when the waters high) and I dont wanna see a bunch of people out there that dont realize this because it puts everyone out there in danger.

Quote:

do you people really have any idea where all the spots i fish are?

No we don't know but I'm sure if we wait and read your posts long enough you'll tell us all of the "hot spots" you fish tongue.gif

I have to agree with you river rat316 I have been running the river for 2 years now and I have to say I'm still scared everytime I head out. The river is nothing to mess with if you dont know it. You need to watch out for those rocks that move right in front of you LOL. mabie I will see you out there this year.

Chad