• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cheffery or Viking ? on Barker's and Lk Superior

I have a couple questions: One I was looking on the Barkers website at the boats for sale. Are those private boats for sale? If not I don't suppose Barkers would look at taking a glass walleye boat in on trade? Also what is seasonal dockage for say a 25' and what does it entail? Does anyone sleep on there boat at Barkers? I ask as I live down here in the arm pit of MN and would probably come up friday night and being staying on the boat until sunday if possible? Also do you guys buy dock gas and is it very expensive or do you have a trailer you drag back and forth to pull the boat out and get fuel? Sorry for the long post but I really have the itch to move from a walleye rig to a Lk Superior rig.

Thanks,

Eric

I'm not sure what you'd be looking at for price, but I'm sure one of those guys can get you back on that. You shouldn't have any problem sleeping on your rig, I know there's plenty of people that do it. You can buy gas at the marina, but its pretty spendy. Your best bet would probably be to buy it at a gas station and haul the tanks down to your dock.

The boats at Barkers are sold on consignment. They would most likely take yours on consignment, used to run about 15% but I’m not positive about what it is now.

You can sleep on your boat and they have all the facilities included in the docking fee,toilets & showers. You should go to the ships store or the maintenance building and they will have the docking prices there. Used to be about $900-$1000 for a 28’ boat in the mid 90’s but not sure how much that has gone up since then.

Moderation hit it right on the head. Consignment is the way they work. Generally will come down a bit with a little pushing. My Brother in law bought a 30' Bayliner through them. They said they wouldn't budge but when he told them they would have a $40,000 parking ornament sitting in there lot they came down about 5%. As far as trade goes you may be better off somewhere else they don't handle many under 21' boats in the sales there. However they have always been great to work with.

People sleep on the boats, some even on the docks (depends on the night) Some docks have reputation for being party docks while their are also some that keep it pretty quiet. Just ask before they assign you yours.

Gas is available at roughly 15-25 cents more per gallon, worth the convenience though and they frown on bringing gas dolly's down to the dock to fill yourself due to spillage.

Dockage for a 30' this year is $1800, my 22' two years ago was $700.

One thing I would reccomend down there if you do get a slip is meet your neighbors, lots of times we have been going out when they are coming in and we get all the good info on temp lines, colors, and depths. Saves alot of time in figuring it out for yourself.

Best of luck and if you have any more questions shoot away.

You have got most of the information. They do have docking rates on their website. That includes electric and water. Use of the "party room", showers, restrooms... etc. I bought a boat 5 years ago and decided to try it there. I spend at least 3 days a week on my boat there all summer long. Sometimes in the parking lot (if the boat is not in the water yet). We like it because it is only a 2 hour drive, and I am on my boat, and you have close access to everything. Crankin, Do you have an email address ?

Thanks all for the posts. My email is fishermen4ever @ charter (dot) net Cheffery I was the guy that sold you the cheap Gold Big Jon holders a couple years back. I am addicted to that lake and I think it might be ideal to have a place to crash everytime I want to fish! My Ranger fishes great out there however kinda hard to sleep in!

Thanks again.

I do know what your talking about there. I use to pull my tyee up there, and sleep in the back of my suburban. Either my truck was getting smaller, or I was getting older blush.gif I find it easier to spend every weekend up there, and fishing when the weather permits. And if the weather is lousy, you can usually find something to do, or someone to sip a couple of swills with.

Ya there is always someone to go out with you and someone to join ya for a drink or dinner. I live about 5 blocks from Vikings slip and make it down quite often for fun in the sun and some good fishing too. I hope it all works out for you. Hope to see ya at Barkers. Get a slip by Viking and you will be close to others we know and info is always good and up to date.

Cheap indeed, I was very happy with that purchase. Crankin once you get in our area there is always someone to docksit with you! Mostly Northlander. Some day he will get a slip for his lund so he can just jump in and go. Probably when he gets a little less limber. As far as info goes once you get up here you will be suprised with the loose lips in the area if you get to know them or just buy a round at Barkers.