• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat rigging ??

krats

Question

I enjoy tinkering with accessories for my boat and I have been thinking about how to get into the business of rigging boats for a sideline job or hobby. My question is...does anyone know if there are some sort of classes or training that I could take for more back ground in electronics before I start trying to persue this endevour? Or does a person need to get hooked up with someone in this type of work and work as an apprentice for sometime?

4 answers to this question

I myself find working on/or rigging boats very easy. I think if you're fairly mechanical and know your way around electronics it shouldn't be too difficult. The biggest thing with this type of work, is to make people happy. Make sure your work is done right and looks good too. There are certain things that can make a huge difference when it comes to rigging boats that you may not think of. Such as proper placement of the transducers, running wires so there is no interference and placing things properly so that they're user friendly. There is alot to learn, but I think alot of it is common sense, while some is technical and requires a certain way to do it.

If you really want to learn how to do this talk to local dealers, maybe even get a job working there for a while so that you can learn more. Also, always ask the customer what they want and go with it. If you have a better way of doing something, such as location of rod holders. Always ask before going against their word. If your a fisherman, then you know how the little things can make your boat so much more pleasurable to fish from, so I would always ask myself, would I like how this is set up if it were my boat?

Once you feel confident, advertise and start your new adventure. grin.gif

I see you are in Baxter. Talk with Jim Wentworth (sp). You could offer to labor for him (free) in exchange for learnn'.

You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer guy, and I'd bet he could use a hand this time of yr. KT

Better have good insurance if you do any electrical work.If something would short out and catch on fire you could be liable for all damage or injurys.Burl.

Thanks guys. Kevin, I have thought about going to see Jim W.. The couple of times that I have ever talked to him he seemed pretty nice. As a matter of fact both times he told me how to fix what I was there to see him for and sent me home to do it myself.

Someone told me that he was looking to retire from the business, I better stop in to see him soon.