• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crusin cross country style

The Donk

Our group will be up in a week or so, the long term forecast doesnt show too much snow (if you can trust it) Question is we are staying on the south side of the lake, only place we could rent from- Can a couple of 4X4s bust across the lake to the "better reported" side of the lake if we are not finding them or go around to pay another access fee?

i would drive around and pay through a different resort there is quite a bit of snow on the lake unless you have your stuff strapped down good and hope nothing breaks

Good luck.

I agree... it's only $8.00 for a road fee. You can easily break or lose that much in equipment baja-ing across the lake. Not to mention getting hung up in a plow bank or slush pocket below a plow bank, or buried in a drift... if you have 4 guys everyone pony up the extra $2 for the pass and you'll be world's ahead.

With all that said, I know you can get across the lake end for end as I know a guy who did it... it's up to you... I myself support the businesses who supply the roads by paying their fee if I'm going to use their road.

Good Luck!

Ken

Ya, I'm sure we could make it too, I just wanted to check-- what approximately is the snow depth? We don't have a problem driving around, hopefully we dont have to but I havent heard too much good stuff from the South side though

Thanks for the input fellas grin.gif

i would say the snow is any where from 8 to 12 inches of snow for the most part it looked like every one was getting around pertty good. hillmans is the resort with the best luck but i only caught one slab and a bunch of perch a walleyes.

I think the main thing to remember is the busted up ice under the snow. That's what makes it tough to travel a long ways off road. Some of the heaves are big and they are hard to see. If you are going too fast you can do some damage to your vehicle. It's a catch-22, you have to go kind of fast to keep from getting stuck, but not so fast that you get airborne on the bad ice.

Quote:

Ya, I'm sure we could make it too, I just wanted to check-- what approximately is the snow depth? We don't have a problem driving around, hopefully we dont have to but I havent heard too much good stuff from the South side though

Thanks for the input fellas
grin.gif

Click on Rogers add under the redlake forum and read his fishing report. Things are picking up down there grin.gif

Come later in the season the South shore can be lots of fun.

I heard they got some snow and wind the last couple days. Can someone confirm that, maybe Kelly-P? I'll be up this weekend with the sleeper and am wondering if I should bring a sled now.

Fisherdog

Right on... I like fishing the south side, just a personal preference... That would be killer if they started moving in down there! I think the slabfest reports after this weekend will be a good indicator as to whats what out there grin.gif

FD,

If you can swing it, I would bring the sled. A couple of hot spots are not reachable by wheeled vehicle smile.gif

you might be alright with a lighter truck ( staying on top).

I barried my F-350 today and it wasn't pretty. I'll be heading out with my sled for any more off roading.

Matt

Won't be bringing a sled. I teaked my back pretty bad today and am having a lot of trouble just moving around. I'd have a hard time loading and unloading the sled, towing a portable around, drilling lots of holes, etc, etc, etc. I'm so pis$@#^&* that I did it, I really wanted to put my buddy on some fish. Best I can do now is hope to find some fish fairly close to a plowed road and put the permanent on top of them. We'll see how it feels tomorrow, but as of right now I won't be bringing it. If there's enough people with sleds, we may try to bum rides for those going cross country to find fish. I'll be out of Hillmans tomorrow, and depending on how the fishing is, we may relocate the permanent out to the slabfest area.

Fisherdog