• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow for Elk

iffwalleyes

I am going to be apply to do a archery hunt in Montana this next season. I have a PSE package bow right now but I think if I were to be drawen I would be looking at a new bow of some type. I like PSE but the Matthew's line looks really nice. I have seen there Switchback model advertised. Does anyone have experience with this bow? How would it compare to PSE thundar bolt or Baby G? I am looking for something that has some pretty good speed. I want something that can shoot pretty flat out to 40 yards and still be capable of being able to hit something at 60 yards.

iffwalleyes:

I just bought a Matthews Switchback XT (30inch/70lbs) a few months ago. I am a newbie to archery so I have nothing to compare it to....but I am very happy with my set up. It has a super smooth draw and just a complete dead feel on the release...next to no vibration. Its speed seems pretty good..but like I said, I have nothing to compare it to. I am shooting 31 inch Gold Tips (8.2 grains per inch), with 100 3 Blade Muzzys...and I believe its speed is in the 275-290 range....I am not for sure on speed as I only shot it thru that watchamacallit machine a couple of times before leaving the store..and that was a few months ago.

My friends who are into archery say that the Switchback is one of the better bows on the market and would be more than enough for large game such as Elk.

I think it would worth your time to check it out.....but like everyone told me....shoot a bunch of bows and pick the one that feels best to you.

Good Luck in your search

Cliffy

IFF- The switchback will likely make you a much happier dude than the other bows you mentioned. However, I'm not a huge Mathews fan (sorry cliffy and many others). I've shot a lot of Bowtechs (lots) and quite a few Hoyts in the past few months. Also shot quite a few Mathews and despite being nice bows, I still like the feel of most the Hoyts and Bowtechs. However, as most anyone will tell you, it's mostly about personal preference. If you're coming to Fargo I can let you check out my new Hoyt and depending on who's up at the archery club, you can probably shoot another bow or two (lots of Mathews, Bowtechs, and Hoyts to choose from).

Deitz,

I haven't read the e-mail yet, but I hear ya loud and clear. I was just too lazy to type a seperate e-mail- that's dang lazy. My appologies for making you be the tough guy- I know better.

I promise I'll be good from now on! smile.gif

You didnt hurt my feelings...I agree...the right bow is different to each person. Although I own a Matthews...I have not lost touch with reality....slowly working my way there... grin.gif

I've got a used Hoyt Striker 60 to 70 pound with powerflex limb and command cams that shoots very nice out to 60 and beyond. 27 to 30 inch draw. 39 inch axle to axle. I hunt by Fort Ransom grin.gif. I live in Mn now, grew up in Lisbon. Brace hieght about 7 inches. My shoulder is getting bad so I'm getting a 50 or 55 pounder.

You talk about 'shooting flat' out to 40 yards, you're talking more poundage. Just be careful that you don't overbow/over poundage yourself, I did that once, I wanted to be able to take my bow out West, bought a 65-80 pounder, got up to 68 pounds, but in several years I had to crank it down to 58, my shoulders were hurting.

Accuracy and shot placement is more important than poundage, 60 pounds will kill an elk. I would add a rangefinder to your 'must have' list. Most of us, with a little practice, AND IF I KNOW THE EXACT RANGE, can hit that 40 yard shot.

One more tip, go to bowsite (Contact US Regarding This Word), those guys talk a lot of big game hunting out West.

I adore my switchback but there are other options as well. Bowtech and Hoyt make mighty fine bows. Do some shooting of different makes and models. There are many cheaper bows that shoot just as fast as any other. If you don't shoot a lot or don't have the $$ for a 700-800 dollar bow you are not going to be a sucker for going with a cheaper bow. A chevy tahoe will get you out hunting and fishing but so will the Cadalac escalade...

If you're bow is older than say 5 years, you probably would be better served by getting a new one. The new technology is amazing. I have a Mathews and love it, but there is no need to go out and buy the most expensive bow. Most companies that are still around today make great shooting bows. Just try a bunch and go with the one that you like. Speed is important, but kinetic energy needs to be looked at as well. Good luck with the draw.

Rolly

iffwalleyes,

I just bought a Mathews switchback xt and love it. I just came from a Baby G and there is no comparison, Mathews is the way to go and is well worth the money!!!!!!!

Tracey

There are bunches of good bows on the Market, quality of bows has really evened out, thanks to competition in the market. And you don't have to buy brand new either to get great quality and decent oomph (sorry, techinical term: oomph means elk goes down quickly) Bottom Line: IGNORE the brand name and go out and shoot bows. Buy the one you shoot the best, that you can afford. Put a razor-sharp broadhead on a straight flying arrow, shoot yourself an elk and enjoy the backstraps.

Best of Luck!