• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The solution for buying a quality rod, at a considerably low price

OnTheWater

After reading many of the posts concerning Ugly Sticks, it is apparent that many haven't had the opportunity to feel the sensitivity of a quality graphite rod. Almost all seem to agree that St.Croix and G loomis are top picks, yet the high price of these rods deters many from buying one. The roads are endless when picking the rod you want; but if $$$ is of major concern, then I found the solution. St. Croix has a new line of rods out (Triumph series); they are nearly identical to the premier series, but more than $30 cheaper and still carry a 5 year warranty. The only difference is that these rods have different guides, and are made in china. I myself was thinkin about buying a new premier or avid; but after finding these rods, I think I might save some change and buy a triumph. FYI... I'm not associated with St. Croix in any way; I just noticed these at Gander today, and I thought I would pass it on. Has anyone else seen these, or used them?

No doubt that Loomis makes a fine rod and I own a few. I'm not a big fan of St. Croix rods due to durability issues. I also have some $50 rods that have given me good service. What I would do is go into your local bait shop and tell them how much you want to spend and let them put some rods in your hand. Do a little shopping around and you will get a feel for what is available. Gander Moutain has lots of nice rods in the $50 range and their sales are coming up. I also have a 20 year old Ugly Stick that I still use from time to time for tolling on Lake Superior and it has landed lots of lakers and salmon. I just bought a 10 foot Rapala catfish rod to use for stergeon fihing for $15 bucks at a local shop. I got a Penn reel for it at Fleet Farm for $20.

A good time to buy rods is in the off season. I have bought some Loomis rods for 25% off in Dec. I have also bought some Fenwicks at 50% in Feb. It always pays to stroll through the rods in the off season, you never Know when you might find that rod that you didn't need but could not pass up on the price.

I have a number of Gander series rods that have done very well for me. They seem to make a quality rod too - and you can usually find their pro series on sale in the Spring for 10.00 off - that makes it around 50.00 or so...not bad.

After buying a couple of Shimano rods a few years ago, I have slowly been upgrading to the Shimano line. Their Clarus and Compre line of roads are a fine product IMO. What is also nice with these rods is that they come with an over the counter no questions asked warranty that not many other companies can match.

These rods are Im-7 and Im-8 graphite rods with fuji components and are very sensative! For the money, I feel you'll be hard pressed to find anything else on the market to compare to these rods.

I looked at the Triumph series today and they are a great rod at that price. I may try one to check them out 1st hand.

There are lots of good rods out there these days. I am very particular about the rods that I use like many others here.. In fact, I am starting to build my own... I cant afford $280/rod and want the same performance, or BETTER. I dont care for Loomis... I have had a couple explode when my lure hit a snag trolling. My line was at the minimum recommended.

For a really good off the shelf rod, I am impressed with the Fenwick Venture rods that are carried at Walmart of all places. Very nice rods and super sensitive, titanium guides, 5 year warranty.. $50 or so and tax. I dont prefer to spend my money at the department store.. but its a heck of a good rod for a great price.

I hate to say it, but if a person wants to upgrade from an ugly stick.. I think a person would have 20 options for less than $25 at any store. IM6 graphite(38 million modulas) is pretty much the standard on value class rods these days. They wont stand up to the *top shelf* rods(croix, loomis, etc), but they will perform pretty well. For a little more than $30 one can find IM7 and better class rods which are very respectable.. or they can buy another ugly stick... might find an old mitchell 300 on ebay to go with it.

If your in the market for a $50 rod, I'd take a hard look at the Berkley Ligthning Rod - Gary Roach series. I've got 2 of them and they are all I use while jigging for walleyes.

Captain--I agree, shimano does make an awesome line of rods; yet they seem to be somewhat forgotten about. I also think they also have a IM-9 series for around $120.

The latest Outdoor Life (the national publication) has a section on new products for 2006. They had "great Buy" awards next to the Shakespeare Agility series rods, both casting and spinning.

They rate is very high against all the top notch rods, and then add the $30 price and they loved it!

On a budget, it sounds like a really good stick!

Keep an eye out for Cabelas spring sale. Last year they were selling their Cabelas brand rods two for the price of one, or half price. They have cork handles and Fuji guides, they go for about $70 regular price. I bought two last spring and used them all summer. They worked great and I plan to buy two more this year if they have the same sale.

I also have a few Gander rods.Broke one last year and they replaced it no questions asked. Last year they came out with the ultimate rod one step up from the pro series.It's now my favorite rod.The price was 89.95

So here's a deal if you can swing it. The St. Croix company is located in Park Falls Wis. In their factory store they sell "irregulars" as well as standard rods. There are some great deals, I got a $200 rod for $70. 3 years later and I still don't know why the rod was a second. I guess they put new rods out everyday. My guess is that you could do pretty well there during the off-season. Good guys at the shop.

I just got a BPS Extreme Woo Daves rod for $69, there regularly $100 and after handling it I would not hesitate to pay that for them, its a very light sensitive rod!

The Gander rods are also a awesome deal right now with Gander in Fridley having there moving sale you can pick one up for 40% off, I picked up an IM8 spinning rod this weekend for $26 another awesome deal

I've got to chime in with Captain B.R.K here. I spent money on ugly sticks etc and then I started buying Shimano. I have several of the IM8 rods and one of the Crucial IM9 Rods. They are so nice and amazingly sensitive. In fact, everyone of em Deitz has sold to me at Owatonna :-)

Probably gonna buy one or 2 more this spring as well. blush.gif

Quote:

I've got to chime in with Captain B.R.K here. I spent money on ugly sticks etc and then I started buying Shimano. I have several of the IM8 rods and one of the Crucial IM9 Rods. They are so nice and amazingly sensitive. In fact, everyone of em Deitz has sold to me at Owatonna :-)

Probably gonna buy one or 2 more this spring as well.
blush.gif

That Dietz guy kills me laugh.gif

Seriously though, a guy can't go wrong with the Shimano brand ros that are out there. Now is the time to start looking at the Bargin Cave at Cabelas or the clearance area of your local outdoor store. Shimano has a a new "look" to their Compre's and have started lowering the prices on their older Compre's (IM-8's).

I just picked up a couple for $42 when they originally go for $89.99. I looked at the rod rack and the new Compre's were marked $99.99. What a deal!!!

My vote for resonable price and high performance is the Fenwick HMx series. Sportsman's Whse has them at $50, about $20 less than Cabela or FF.

Bargain cave at cabelas is not a place to buy a rod. I had an issue on a return this winter to the bargain cave on a camera that worked one time.......My buddy makes Fishing poles and he gets st. croix blanks somewhere around Stillwater. Basically, the Muskie Rod he built for me is a 300 dollar rod, but the color was not right, so it was a second for 75 bucks........

The problem is I am waiting for a 7' ML in the premier line, and he just hasn't had time to get to it, 2 years now.......Oh well, I don't have the cash right now, but I will some day get into building my own rods, it is a pretty simply process, if he can do it

"Bargain cave at cabelas is not a place to buy a rod. "

The rods came with warranties so if I have problems, they will go right back over the counter to a shimano dealer.

I don't forsee the rods being in poor condition, I did the once over on em' and they were brand new!!

BRK, cool, I just won't buy anything but clothes in the bargain cave now.......I still love cabelas, I just shop a little wiser now

LMAO@ Carlcmc... Don't hate me brother!.. LOL

Just an FYI, I wont be down at the owatonna store much any more.. I have been moved to the Rogers stores for most events... Brian Buhr will take good care of you down there.

That is disappointing. Part of the reason to go was to say hi. We haven't visited the rogers store. is it any bigger than the owatonna one? We may have to travel up there on Sunday to check it out.

Who is your replacement again? Does he post on here?

Carl- I am going to be at the Rogers store on March 18-19th...Agape a poster on FM will be there that day too... The Rogers store is larger than the owatonna store.. but I cant remember by how much.. I like the floor layout better of the Rogers store..

Brian Buhr-does not post on FM yet.. and he isn't really my replacement.. He had worked down there before.. I am just getting moved to the Rogers store as its closer to my home.