• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Harriet???

Anyone here if any muskies are being caught on harriet? Thinking of giving it one more go around before the season ends. Been out there once, had two fish on, landed one. Want to ice another.

Just came from Harriet, I set a tip up out over the weeds on north end with big shiner but no takers fished a little farther out than tip up an caught a dozen or so perch an one tiny eye 8 incher. grin.gif

My cousin & I were out there on 2/12. Unfortunately he arrived just before i did and got to witness what he said was maybe a 35 incher get pulled out. North side. On the bar. Good luck.

A buddy and I had our tip-ups down by 12:45 yesterday. Had them down till dusk with no-flags. Pulled them up and put down a jig and a crappie minnow. Had constant bite for about half an hour. All were 4 to 5 inch walleyes. Talk about your big fish. wink.gif

Well, we were out again on saturday and really crazy thing happened to us. While fishing we looked down and there was a good 35 - 40 incher below the hole. We couldnt believe it. At one point we could see his tail in one of our holes and the head in another and it was not more than a foot and a half below the surface. Quick put down a tip up with a large shiner and he'd just cruise by and bump it with his snout and take off... then come back a few minutes later and same thing. This happened for a good half hour until we had to leave due to another commitment. It was crazy!! We managed some pictures on his phone and some on the disposeable camera. cant wait to see them developed. Anyone else here ever have this happen?? we couldnt believe he didnt just take the bait or get spooked by us hovering over the top of our holes watching him.

Its very common on Harriet, it happens almost every day in some locations on the lake. I have seen a few as wide as the 8" hole over time.

Once in a while they bite, usually when you least expect it on what you least expect them to hit.. most the time you just enjoy watching the free show.

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about getting out there once last time before ice out. Anybody been out there lately?? What are ice conditions like?? Anything biting?? Thanks.

During the 60 degree warm front last weekend the ice looked pretty sketchy to me and after a foot of snow I would not recommend it.

Actually please don't do it.

I ran around it in the warm weather, and saw no safe ice. In fact, there was water on top the very thin ice all the way around. Some spots already were broken through too. I know it is tempting now, but i wouldn't reccomend it. Just my opinion.

Seeing as how some of you think this ice isn't safe, I'm curious to know if this lake is known to be less safe than the average lake. In a typical winter does it not get as thick as other area lakes? I am curious because I was maybe going to give it a try with one of my coworkers who lives near it.

My hunch is that it is still reasonably safe with 10-12 inches of solid ice under the slush. Of course it looked bad, the weather is starting to warm up and all lakes start to look bad this time of year. As the snow melts on top, the ice turns black and looks really creepy, but even when this happens you can have 10+ inches of clear ice left.

schr0563, I would have before this snow, but not now. I was out until the last week of March last year, but with all that heavy snow on top of quickly deteriorating ice...not me. My main fear is the weight & not being able to see any potential bad spots. Last year with the lack of snow I could see anything I considered suspect well before I came near it.

Don't forget that the city lakes often have a lot of runoff from the streets and stuff, so yes, ice often isn't as good as other lakes. Calhoun for example has spots that are unsafe just about all winter. Be careful.

Harriet and Calhoun both usually dont get that thick of ice. I think it has to to with the deep, clear water.. and the fact the city tends to retain the heat better than outlying areas. I used to walk planks regularly to fish these lakes late ice. I do not reccommend it to anyone. The police these days will tell you to get off the lake if they feel the ice conditions are questionable. I dont know if they can legaly do it or not.. but they do.

Keep in mind the shoreline ice rots out 1st, or any area with shallows. All these lakes have some pretty impessive structures, and man made inlets(culverts) that are both visable, and under the water. When a lake is covered with slush, its really hard to see bad spots.. and a spud will do you no good with 8" of badly honeycombed ice.. the spud wont go through, but you will. The north end of Harriet has a water discharge under the water in about 10' fow that helps control the water level in the bird sanctuary across the road, and also the cemetary lake. If that starts pumping water, there will be a huge weak spot in a hurry that will not be visable from the surface until the area opens.

The last I knew a couple people were still sneaking out.. I recommend being very careful with all this heavy snow that fell. You wont see me out there, fish biting or not. I would call Moores bait shop in Minneapolis and ask him if anyone is still getting out on Harriet.. he wont gaurantee ice conditions, but he will tell you if people are making it out. I know business has been slow.

There was someone fishing the north end this afternoon. But I think I'm done on the local lakes also.

Well, thanks all for replying. Its this kind of response that i like about this website. People looking out for one another! For me, I guess i'm going to stay off the ice since some are calling it iffy. Its just not worth falling in over a few undersized panfish. Time to start puting all my eggs into the river basket I guess! Thanks again for the response.

I want to thank everyone as well for the warnings. I will avoid these lakes this year and just stick to the west metro for last couple weeks of the season.