• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Repainting Boat Trailer Questions?

pkimman

Question

Hello--

I have a 1980 Shorelander roller trailer for my boat. It has substantial amount of rust on it, and I would like to redo it. I was just curious what the best way to sand/grind the rust off is, and what types of paint to use so that the rust doesn't come right back. I have never dealt with painting a rusty metal surface before, so any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Paul

12 answers to this question

The best method to remove the rust is to sandblast. It is quikest and most efficient. As for re-painting, use a good quality automotive primer and topcoat system. Remember you get what you pay for with paints and durability.

I agree that sandblasting would be the way to go. However, I re-did a trailer back in the mid 80 and vowed I would never do it again. Ask yourself is it really going to be worth the time and money spent. I have a Shorelandr that is 6 years old now and I am disappointed at how quickly they get dinged up and how crappy it looks but it’s just a trailer so I’m not going to spend any money to fix it up. More money for toys!

Sandblasting, primer, and paint is the only correct way to do it. You can cut corners by pressure washing it with a very high pressure machine and blast most of the rust away, then prime it, but paint job will not last many years.

If you are in the market for a new/used trailer get a galvanized, they are not as "pretty" as the painted ones, but they'll last longer....

You might want to look at rhino lining it or line exing it(spray on truck bed liner) you will never have the rust problem again once you sand blast it and coat it. i am looking at doing my trailer this way as a buddy of mine did his trailer this way and it was only a couple of hundred bucks and it will last a long time campared to priming and painting. You can also buy the stuuf from auto zone, pep boys, etc. and do it yourself with a roller and brush.

If you go the sandblast prime route, I'll add a vote for the bed liner option - but I'll suggest buying it at fleet farm - cheaper. Follow the instructions for the liner and it will stick like glue - don't follow the instructions and it will peel off.

Thanks for the info, I will look into both painting and the bed liner or rhino lining. As far as sandblasting, is that something that is easy and worthwhile to rent and do yourself, or is it inexpensive and/or best to have professionally done?

Thanks again,

Paul

I went with a guy that had the proper equipment. I suppose you can rent a sandblaster and compressor but do you have the space to do it? Sandblasting will make one heck of a mess!

Can anybody tell me if there is anybody that does sandblasting up in the LOW area? I live in Warroad. Thanks for any help. 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

Sand blasting is a big mess unless you have a good place to do it. I would consult a quality automotive paint dealer like Dupont and see if they have a primer that you can use to coat a rusty surface.

Several years ago I had a trailer that I thought was an eye sore. I sand blasted it completely clean. I then brought it to a guy that sprayed it with epoxy-primer. I painted it and reinstalled all the hardware, lights etc. My Dad has since bought the boat & trailer from me and the trailer still looks great. It could use a little touch up on a couple of the sharp corners on the fenders but other than that it really held up well.

Shayne

Shayne's got it right on the money. As much as it sucks, in the 20+ years we've been in the boat and trailer refinishing business, I have yet to see a product that will stop or remove rust without properly repairing the metal. Zinc-phosphate primers and products like Por-15 will contain rust, but the metal it is applied on still has to be cleaned and prepped. If you're willing to do a little work disassembling and preparing the trailer, the couple hundred bucks it will cost you to have it blasted will save you tons of headache and frustration when rust would otherwise start bubbling up underneath the paint you just spent money on.

Several years ago I redid a trailer with the herculiner bedliner product. It held up well. I have since sold the boat and trailer so can't give you any long term info. It was a lot of work preping for the application. Many hours of grinding off the rust and then wipping down with touluene. Wear a respirator if you are going to do this.