• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was wondering who's got what type of GPS's and how they liked it. I have an Etrex Venture and it's dying on me so I'm thinking of getting a differnt one. Anyone wana share information here?

Thanks

Code-Man

i have an older garmin that works great, it also floats which came in handy a couple times. i also have worked with lowrance gps's that accept lakemaster chips which is unbelievable, personally if you feel like spending some money i would go with lowrance and buy some chips that have the contour maps of minnesota.

Lowrance H2O, my brother bought one and he loves it, that will be my next purchase this coming spring.

I will throw another vote for the H2o unit. I have had mine for over a year....bought the lakemaster chip...I cant say enough good things about it. I put a RAM mount in my boat, ran the unit of a cig. lighter adaptor...works great.

The only thing that I don’t like, is that it seems to eat up AA batteries rather fast. I just bought two packs of rechargeables....I can live with it.

I was thinking about upgrading to the H2Oc so I could take advantage of this Lakemaster Pro chip I've been hearing so much about. I am a little reluctant though because of what I've heard about how it performs in direct sunlight. Does every unit really need to have the backlight on in order to see the display adequately?? If so, I would think Lowrance would be coming up with a solution to that soon.

I have the magellan gold and I hate it. It sucks batteries and is very slow. No real time on this guy. I am also think about upgrading, but I may upgrade to the lowrance 336 depth finder/GPS for my boat first. That looks really sweet.

I will also get the chip tht show everything on the lake maps.

May have to keep it till fall. Anyone else like the lowrance 336 for Da boat?

I would not be hesitant to recomend the Lawrance Ifinder H2O or Pro models. Any of them that take the chip, they are great!!!!!! Using the chips are like cheating, but boy do they put you on the spot.

Fisherdog

I have had a etrex legend (the blue one) for about six years. It has worked great for me. Very easy to use. Only thing now is sometimes the toggle switch (main control switch for the unit) does not work. To fix it garmin will charge $100. I would more or less get back a "new" unit. Im thinking about upgrading altogether because a new one is $150.

As a side note, it is always good to keep a hard copy of all your waypoints. I almost had to learn this the hard way because while hunting the thing fell out of my pocket and it took me three different search attempts before I found it. To me, the waypoints stored are worth much much more than the cost of the unit alone.

My magellan is a little slow and does not do much in "real time" -- do the other ones work better?

It is also pretty funny at times. It shows that I am fishing on the road on Pelican, and I am pretty sure we weren't that thirsty. wink.gif

Not sure, but they both do pretty much the same thing it's just that the each have some features independant of one another.

Fisherdog

Quote:

I was thinking about upgrading to the H2Oc so I could take advantage of this Lakemaster Pro chip I've been hearing so much about. I am a little reluctant though because of what I've heard about how it performs in direct sunlight. Does every unit really need to have the backlight on in order to see the display adequately?? If so, I would think Lowrance would be coming up with a solution to that soon.

I've got the H20 and I have no problem in sunlight. To save on batteries I use the 12v adapter on both the boat and 4 wheeler. It's a great unit.

Just don't get the more expensive color unit because that's the one that is bad in sunlight and eats batteries fast.

Scott ND --

You are a wealth of info. Keep up the good work.

I'm sure I would have bought the color one then complained about the stupid batteries. mad.gif

Don't know, I have an original Ifinder unit and it updates every second.

Fisherdog

Dana2 -- Is the photo of you like squished and then pulled out?

Those sunnies look bigger than your head. grin.gif

I'm jealous, my 10-inch Eyes look kinda pathetic.

Nice fish. smirk.gif

The magellan I have is the first one I ever got about 4 years ago, and I've always liked it, so never had a reason to try any other, but perhaps there is better.

heh, heh, ya the pic. is a little distorted, heres the ral pic below, maybe someone has a way I can fix it up, I tried photobucket.com but guess that didn't do the trick

generalpicsdec05007.jpg

Nice Pic and nice fish!!!!!

I guess they are bigger than your head. grin.gif

So, where does a guy catch those ... I know right in the lip. wink.gif

Nice fish.

ya, there fun to catch, but I hate cleaning panfish so I only kept a meals worth.

Got rid of avatar, to distorted, tryed anyway grin.gif

Those things are mutants! How long and how much did they weigh? They almost look like they could have been mounted.

Fisherdog

I think those were great fish. I would have mounted them.

I don't mean MOUNTED them -- I would have put them on the wall.

cool.gif

More or less.

Mostly more.

Speaking of gutter -- Milk any nice Big Females lately?