• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling Motor Questions

softballfisherguy

Question

I purchased a 1994 Lund DLX 1600 last fall it has a 40hp Johnson with console steer, but it does not have a trolling motor. I am clueless on what to look for, and I don't have a ton of money to spend. Would you do bow or transom mount(it does have a battery holder and outlet plug on the bow for a trolling motor)? How much thrust would be needed on a 16ft boat? Foot remote recommended or not necassary? Any advice or ideas would be welcome.

5 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If your not trolling cranks or fishing current I'd go electric on the bow. 55 lb thrust should pull your boat around fine. I like the Auto Pilot because it suits my type of fishing but it might not suit yours.

Alot is going to depend on the type of fishing you do. If you are going to bass fish or do lots of casting I would say bow(with foot control) but if you like to back troll and do more walleye type fishing I would say transom. At least 55 lbs I would say would be the least you would want to go with - you could go with less but would have less control in the wind and waves. Try looking at Cabelas store or their website, they have reconditioned Minn Kota trolling motors that are much less and work great(had mine for 3 yrs with no problems). You can also try E-bay they tend to have lots of used trolling motors on their site just search either motorguide or Minn kota. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. As far as type of fishing - it will be a little of everything - pannies with the kids and hopefully some walleye too. Mostly will be on smaller lakes in my area, but maybe occasionally on some larger waters too. Any other advice - feel free to share, the more the better.

I personally think a bow mount is more versatile than a transom mount. On some of my past rigs I've had both mounts on the boat for guiding and usually ended up using the bow mount more. Even with a 16 foot rig, go for a motor with the highest peak thrust you can afford. I like foot control over wireless.

Go with a Minn Kota 55 or 65 pound thrust. Bow or transom is a tough decision. I do lots of walleye fishing and for me the transom mount motor is what I use 90 percent of the time. I fish a vertical presentation most of the time and I troll with my outboard when using crankbaits. I believe the transom mount motors are easier to use for the novice. If you are going to be casting or fishing current areas more, then a bow mount will meet your needs. I believe you will learn to use whatever you choose and you will be happy. I think Minn Kota is the way to go for dependability.

Jason Erlandson