• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If I was fishing gitchagoomie trolling for trout and salmon, would I need both a Wisconsin AND a Minn. Lisence and stamps?

I know there is a boarder line and I hear they try to keep it freshly painted but I guess the wind keeps blowing it away.

Wade,

There is a line that goes out from the Wisconsin entry that divides MN from WI waters. You would need stamp/license for both states to fish all the waters o this end. In general (very general) early season tends to favor WI waters and along park point (the WI side is a much gentler slope than the MN side). As the season progresses the trout head for deeper waters, and the salmon head north or out to cooler waters. But the south shore is the place if you want to troll for summer eye's. I dont know the heading off the top of my head for the line, but it seems the CG and DNR marine unit is out pretty regularily on weekends checking boats/lisences and mandatory equipment.

You'll want to have both for a couple of reasons. First, the early season fishing will be on both sides of "the line" and you won't want to miss that, particularly if you don't have riggers for later in the summer. Second, you can run 3 lines per person on the WI side instead of 2 on the MN side. Guys on my boat can vouch for the fact that I stare at the south shore with an itchy hand on the throttle during slow north shore days. Third, if you have a day off to fish and the wind is howling out of the SE you can still head out of Loon's Foot or even over to one of the ports on the south shore and still get on the water without getting pounded to death. Last summer my best laker action was right on the border (as noted by my chartplotter). Salmon and lakers in the morning and then slide over to the shore in search of 'eyes. Finally, if you are going to hop on board somebody elses boat it'll suck for you to have to watch everybody else reel in all the fish when the boat crosses over into WI waters.

Oh, and the WI DNR boat is a very fast, very well piloted center console. The guys running it are good guys. They can also be across the horizon, inside your spread and on your gunwale inside of a minute.

Lota Lota...

Scott, I think Johns got 2 250's on that boat. Your right, very fast. Those fish sure did seem to hang out on the line last year. I still need to spend a day on the yellow boat and learn from the master. You got all your LK Mich. trips dates lined up yet?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Wade, no you don't need both licenses if you stay in the MN waters. The above posts gave some very good reasons to buy the WI licenses and stamp.

Thats kinda what I figured since is not actually a "boundary water" like the Mississippi or St.Louis rivers. I have not yet met the requirements for Mn residency, so I guess I'll buy my Wi Resident Lisence and have the Mn Non-Res. for 2006.