• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Random acts of ice fishing kindness

I have just read the thread about the most recent fish house vandalism and thought there should be a thread about the good things that have happened to you due to other ice fishermen this year. When I started using this site I was amazed at the knowledge amassed in one spot, but there were also alot of reports of theft/vandalism/trashing lakes/etc. I was a little turned off to fishing the metro lakes but have had great experiences this year because of our fellow fishermen.

On Sunday a buddy and I were on Prior and had just reached the spot. I grabbed the auger and pulled with no resistance on the cord rewind. Looked inside to see the rewind shaft was stripped out and the dogs had nothing to grab. THere were a couple of guys in a portable closeby so I wandered over and asked if They would mind if I borrowed their auger to pop a couple of holes. They said no problem and I went to it. On my way back to returning it another guy came walking up asking me if he could borrow the auger. I told them that I had borrowed it myself and the owner yelled out to go ahead and use it. I saw this new guys young boy huffing on a 7" Mora auger after I had just drilled 4 holes into 20" of ice and thought that this family's day is made. 2 groups able to fish after the help of a stranger.

A hearty thanks to everyone who lends a hand, and I'll be sure to help out where I can, too. Good Luck! McGurk

Me and wall eye king were on a lake near Duluth and someone came up to us and started BSin about fishing and a spot he knew and the lake and invited us to check it out with him. 10 minutes later we followed him to the spot, set up and said hi. Few minutes later he walks up to my fishtrap and slides a couple beers under the shanty!! WOOT! We catch nothnig so invite him to our spot across the lake. 4 more beers!!! Come to find out he is a fellow FMer as well! I feel bad because I can't remember his screen name.

I have a few experiences similar to yours, I have a hand auger, and several people have offered to drill me holes with their gas augers.

Before I had my ATV I was also offered a pull by several people to get on and off the ice, or give me a ride to a spot. Sure did save some walking and also gave me some more time to fish.

I now have an ATV so I offer help pulling whenever I see the chance. As for the gas auger....Im still doing it by hand lol.

I have had several people offer to drill holes for me since I am also using the hand auger. Always makes for a better day of fishing when someone helps you out like that.

Had a friend catch a 26 inch walleye on Mille Lacs out in front of Eddie's and then realized that we did not have a camera. Walked over to a couple of guys and told them our story. They were really helpful and offered to give us one of their disposable cameras so we could capture the fish on film. I would like to extend a thank you to those mystery ice fisherman if they are listening. Your kindness is appreciated. By the way, the pictures turned out great.

I was new to a metro lake this winter where I was hoping to chase a few flags. A couple strangers on the lake willingly showed me one of the hotspots and offered to punch some holes with their power auger since I only had the armstrong:). I've since caught a lot of nice pike on that lake (catch and release only so I'm not abusing their kindness in showing me the hot spot).