• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

'06 Ford F-350 Tire problems

leechlake

Question

Help me out guys, in September I got an 06 F-350 diesel crew cab. The factory tires are Continental's. I had noticed that I was slipping more than I ever did with my suburbans in snowy conditions. My irritation incresed ten fold when one day I pulled into my buddies driveway with about an inch of fluffy snow on it, I parked the truck and it slid down the driveway. His truck was parked right next to mine (well it was at least when I originally "parked" it) I thought that was a fluke and about a week later it happened again somewhere else at a even lower pitched driveway. Neither or these "slopes" were very big and in neither condition was I on ice.

The problem is that I went to tires plus and they told me that the 18" Continentals are the only tires made that size. I assume I could tweak things a bit and go up or down but what would you do and don't you think the tires that come with a 50k truck should be a tad better?

20 answers to this question

I am a Dodge owner, and you know we don't get along with Powerstrokes a lot, but I have to admit I had 2 of them, F350s single rear wheel, and I was impressed with their stability on snow, I remember driving way above speed limit with almost a foot of snow on ground. But they were 7.3s not 6.0s, and they were 16" tires not 18". I would check places like Tirerack.com where you can search different tire size and brand for it.

It does not sound goor have it slide back as you described, unless was in a steep slope on iced snow.

I've got an 05 and also notice on the slightest incline I have to sometimes put it in 4-wheel if there is a little snow.I also have Limited slip.To answer your question on tires BF goodrich does have tires available in 18".

From my personal experience (I've had 5 new vehicles in the last 7 yrs between me and my wife) the stock tires on new vehicles are terrible. One only has to look as far as the FOrd Explorer with Firestone Wilderness AT's. The vehicle was not to blame, but poor tires caused lots of problems.

I've owned 3 Ford trucks and now have a Nissan Xterra and none of them have had tires that satisy my needs for living in MN. They are poor in the snow and rain and worthless offroad, even with an off-road package. This includes, COntinental, BF Goodrich (not the AT's), Goodyears and General tires.

I usually have the tires replaced when I buy the vehicle or replace them with what I want soon after purchase. A dealer may buy back your stock tires if you replace through them. DOn't be handcuffed by the stock size. You can upgrade size or stay near stock size very easily. Ask a qualified tire outlet to help you find a better size. I recommend Discount Tire. I don't work there but I should so I can save monmey on all the tires I buy.

Don't let anyone tell you that the brand of truck you own matters in the quality of the tires. All the brands use the same tire makers. They all make tires that suck in the snow.

I've had traction problems this winter also. My tires were new last fall... continental tires (what a surprise).

I get stuck trying to get into my driveway(very minor incline), and my truck has slid out into the alley a couple times and the ground was slippery, but not that slippery.

They are a decent road tire, but snow and ice is like using roller skates on an ice skating rink. I will replace these tires before next winter.

Fella's I gotta tell ya I can't figure out whats going on here! Do you carry some weight right over your rear axles in the winter....I meand several HUNDRED pounds of sandbags,railroad track,old bowling trophies or something?? I've wandered all over MT and MN with my PowerStork and blasted through some honest 2-3 fresh drifts with my truck. I use Michelins on all my vehicles but good grief...somebodys gotta make a tire that'll work. And for what its worth, I'm roaming around right now in an old '99 Tahoe I'll NEVER sell because its the best snow vehicle I've owned since my old Volvo PV544! So there!!

I have driven alot of 350's and if they are dually in the back they aren't worth a crap. I have a 250 Ford and have notice with the weight it is hard to stop but to slide down a hill after it is park is nuts. You either have to put more weight in the back or put a camper on the thing.

Like I said, if the only think linking your truck to the road is 4 square feet of rotating rubber then you can't blame the manufacturer for anything more than using cheap tires. MOst people spend $40-50K on a truck but are shocked to find out a new set of tires may cost them $700-1000 dpending on what you want.

I do have to agree with Ufatz that a MIchelin is a great tire but make sure you get ones rated for the weight of your truck.

Weight over the axle will help with rolling traction, but you will lose gas mileage. For every 400 lbs you put in your vehicle you will lose up to 1mpg depending on the vehicle.

Powerstroke, how hard was it to get the dealer to replace the stock tires? I've mentioned it and none of them seem to want to do it. And I have a hard time driving a new truck off the lot and going over to a tire store and spending another $500-600, they won't give you squat for the ones on the truck.

I agree with someone else’s comment that the stock tires you get on new vehicles are crap, my last two new vehicles barely made it 40,000 miles and I had to get new tires. The auto makers choose to cut costs on one of the most important features!!

Now for the meat of my story, I had a 2000 Chevy Silverado, bought new in the summer that had Goodyear Wranglers. It drove fine until it got cold out, and then I stared having flats, 8 flats in two months. I drive 3 miles of gravel/crushed rock road and with the cold weather, those rocks were being pounded right into the tires. I mean what the heck; can't I drive a 4WD truck down a gravel road??! When I talked to the dealer, they pointed at Goodyear. When I talked to Goodyear, they pointed at Chevy and said that they made the tires up to Chevy’s specs. I got no satisfaction from either one and ended up footing the bill for new tires at 25,000 miles. My conclusion was that those Goodyear Wranglers were probably ok for 95% of the truck owners that drove on blacktop roads, towing the boat to Mille Lacs etc. but couldn't handle the off road.

The tire dealer I went to recommended the Firestone Steeltex tires and I've been happy with them. Ironically, my new 2004 Chevy also had those tires on them and I haven't had any problems with them either.

Bottom line is that MOST stock tires are crap and I blame the auto manufacturers, they're the ones that specify the specs on the tires. Powerstroke, I'd like to hear how you twist the dealers arms into getting different tires.

My dealer has no problems switching out tires, he charged me $100 total. The best tires I have had so far have been BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KOs. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S are pretty good too. There are many different Wranglers out there, so know which ones are which before you buy them.

Also, there is a website out there, tirerack or something like that, where they have survey results of each individual tire from tons of people representing millions of miles. It was really helpful to me. I have the link, but we arent supposed to put them on here, right?

Blackjack, I had a '99 Dodge with same tires, they were fine newe but after they got worn out I had same problems you had, 2 or 3 flats/month, replaced with Steeltex load range E and never had a problem, just a bit noisier...

I've only had the dealer replace 2 sets of tires for me and I had them do it when the truck was still new. I more-or-less made it part of the purchasing agreement. Some dealers won't do aftermarket add-ons through the purchase agreement, but many will and are frankly happy to do so. In most cases you would have them remove the stock tires (or rims too if you're so inclined) and replace them with ones of your choice. The can deduct the price of the stockers for the vehicles pricetag and add in the cost of what you want. Instead of losing money after leaving the shop you only end up paying whatever the difference in price was.

Like the owner of this post said his truck came with 18" rims on a 1-ton. Why the heck Ford or any other manufacturer thinks that vehicle owners want 17-18" rims on a 1-ton is beyond me.

The best way to make money back on your stock tires is to sell them here....on the fantastic FM.COM!! I have sold 2 sets of personal tires as well as some for a friend and have always gotten what I wanted for them. This is a great site and a great resource. They will sell here and soften the blow of buying quality equipment for your truck.

Kinda like buying a reel from Gander mountain and its already got line on it. WHether you bought Guide series or Tikka. If its pre-spooled its not gonna have Fireline or PowerPro on it.

Were the GY Wranglers on your Tahoe Wrangler RT/S's by chance?!? I hated those tires form the day I drove on them. WOrst tires ever. I dig the steeltex tires. They are great for large vehicles that do a lot of road driving and towing. They maynot be off-road tires but at least they are built tough enough not to pop or rupture.

They put those 18" tires on the one ton trucks for the people that use them as one ton trucks, ALOT! The manufacturers have to put a tire/rim combo on that will take the rated load of the truck. You guys have to remember that with dually's in the summer they are great, twice the contact patch on the ground and the weight is distributed over 4 tires. Cool. In the winter it works the same, only agianst you. Without much weight you now have twice the surface area lifting your truck up in the snow. If you really need to you can always take the duals off and put a 3/4 ton wheel on the back, that will keep the rear tire inline with the front.

Why did they not use 18" wheels back in the day that they made "real" trucks? I'm not trying to be a smart $#^, I just thought older trucks were built with heavier payloads?

Cuz they didn't have 18" rims then, just those old 16.5s. It really seams to me that with all these different sizes it just another way to get some more cash out of us. I have three vehicles, three different tires sizes, a 14,16 and a 17. I do understand with the taller rims you get a shorter sidewall, therefor increasing handling and load capacity while at the same time decreasing the problem areas for blowouts.

Its all in the weight ratings. Trying to find an afternarket rim that can support a 1-ton load is not easy or cheap. Same with getting E-rated tires. Just cause they are made for an 18" rim doesn't mean it has the sidewall strength to handle such a load.

The only reason auto makers are going to larger rims is because they think they are "in-style". Unfortunately they make it very difficult for consumers to use them. Getting any kind of upgraded package such as a towing package to off-road package seems to add these "upgraded wheel/tire combos" but real off-roaders prefer 15-16" rims and most people who tow would rather have the selection and price of 16" tires.

I don't think that 18" rims have anything to do with distributing the load from the truck or at least it doesn't have to be like that. They are doing it cause it is to be in style as mentioned above. The other 2 heavy duty truck builders don't see 18" rims as necessary. To me it boils down to having a good 10 ply tire. BF Goodrich T/A KO's are 10 ply and they are good they are the only thing that I will be running on my D-Max.

Dodge uses 17" on it's 2500 and 3500, 17" and 20" on it's 1500's. Ford has 17", 18" and 20" options for their 250/350 trucks.

Exactly is is cause of style. 5 years ago 20" rims were unheard of now it they are everywhere. I will say this though when you have these larger rims prepare to whip that check book out because there are allot less tire options out there for these rims than say a 16" wheel. My last two trucks have a great looking truck and they didn't need 16" wheels. Of course they were Chevy and we all know they are the best looking and performing truck anyhow grin.gifgrin.gif.

20" rims have been around forever, just not on pickups. I'm not talking for stylish reasons, for work reasons. They where reserved for trucks in the 2-4 ton range. You can keep the tire around the same overall hight as what we are used to and have a much shorter sidewall. Short sidewalls have strentgh without the added bulk of 10 or more plies. Thick tires add heat and heat is what kills tires. Rubber deteriates very fast as the heat goes up, so tire manufactrures must design in ways to keep the tire cool, which results in goofy looking, noisy, fast wearing, bad traction tread. Use a short side wall less rubber, larger rim and you fix all the problems.

Believe it or not there is a book written on this subject. I believe it was put out by the National Highway Traffic Safty people. This book also covers what you can and can't do with air pressure to help your situation.

Ask your dealer to put the new Michelins (or whatever) on your truck, make an allowance back to you for the tires that are ON the truck and you pay the difference. If the dealer won't do that for you I would INSTANTLY find another dealer. They should be happy to GET the tires you want, mount them etc. Sounds like your dealer is jerking you around. Seriously, buy your truck at another dealer. For Cripes sake....they're having a hard enough time getting RID of most of their inventory! HA!