• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What about bait?

Powerstroke

I was curious what some peopole do for getting/bringing bait? I'm all about supporting the local economy when I go somewhere but the last time I stayed somewhere way up north the guy was counting individual crappie minnows and bleeding my wallet dry. When I'm on the gunflint I usually stop for bait before heading up the trail.

I plan on fishing the crops of course, but I would be really interested in landing one of those monster pike.

Are people using just crappie minnows or mixing in some fatheads for size? How bout for the pike? suckers, shiners or both?

I'll be staying at Mort's. Is it easy (and reasonable) to get bait around the lake or should I be stopping on the way up?

Thanks for the thoughts. Frankly I would prefer to buy on or near the lake cause thats how I like to do things, but I understand if its not easy to get to.

I was up at the end of January and had great luck with Hillmans. I got so many minnows for the $. Crappie minnows by the monster scoop, I mean the net they used was like a pool cleaning net, it was great. The lite northern were fairly priced as well. just my 2 cents. good luck cool.gif

Mort's has bait right there. As with everone I've used in the area, they are fairly priced and generous. I've never fished for the monster pike, just crappies, so can't help you there.

The guys I had here 10 days ago had great success using smelt 2 feet off the bottom. they fished in 14 feet of water. The biggest 19 lbs, 2 15s 2 13s and numereous smaller ones. Smelt you would have to track down ,down there

if you cant find smelt up at Red i know Tabers in Bemidji has some, and it is on most every body's way to Red.

Will the bait shops up on Red run out of suckers and shiners since this is the last weekend for pike? I know most bait stores stop ordering before the last weekend so they run out .

Agreed, Dr. Tackle and Bait in Kelliher is a nice place to stop and stretch your legs before hitting the pond... If they arent too busy, he will give a good report too, he fishes the lake regularily. smile.gif

If anyone is heading up to the lake at night just remember some of the bait shops around url are not open 24 hrs. So buy bait somewhere along the way before 10 or 11 pm.

Im all about shopping locally as well- food, beer, gas and minnows/ shells(ducks). I see it as giving something back for me visiting the given area.

Nope, Juan they won't run out. Lake of the woods has a continuious northern season so if you stop at a bait shop thats located on that route you should find a good supply of pike bait.

Thanks for all the awesome responses!! I totally agree with SM1. I'm all about supporting the locals (I hate saying "the locals") when I'm in the area. I make my money near home and I know they make thier money near home.

I can't wait. I'll be on the road in about 36 hrs.