• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

driving on da ice/lake johanna

hows the ice shaped up over this cold spell? thinking about doing some tipup fishing on lake johanna this weekend, any info would be good. johanna is near brooten. is the ice safe to drive on there or would a wheeler be your safest route?

Has anybody been up to johanna this year chasin sunnies, If so how has it been and where should a guy start to look for them out there

thanks for info on johanna leech21, heartell the springs are near shore by the acsess. i have fished it on open water this will be first time on hardwater. will bring wheeler to be safe.honkerdown ive been told to go out by the bird island. im going to try for anything thats willing to bite.

glenn57, have you noticed a huge decline in productivity on Johanna in say the last 5 years? I've fished this lake during open-water for the last 8 years or so and it has seemed to have gotten worse and worse ever since they put the access in.

leech21, yea it hasnt been to good for me the past 2-3 years either that its been so weedy you cant troll. i know a person that fishes with tipups in winter and when the fish want to bite they go on a rampage. im planning on trying it sat morning. this will be my first try on hardwater. the first time i ever went thers on open water the wife and i did really well then not so good after that.

I agree with Leech. The productivity of the sunfish and other species has gone to heck the last few years. Too many anglers????????

Small shallow lake, increased publicity about fish caught, increased pressure, decline in fish caught, sounds familiar. I saw a picture of one dilboe with a big sunfish in the Outdoor News with the caption 'caught on Lake Johanna'.

I'm sure its the fault of all the cormorants and pelicans on the island. Yeah, thats it.

Went by there about a week ago, theres a group of houses on the SE corner. They weren't getting on by the public access, I think there must be a private access on the south end.

I remember when we used to go out there bass fishing and have a 4 pound average! To add to the bass the pike would hit and most of them would be 30+ inches! At one point this WAS my favorite lake. Since the word got out and they put in the concrete boat access, fishing has gone in the tank.

Our little local bass club fished this last June and the bassin was GREAT but i never saw so much a panfish of any kind or a pike.. all our club caught was bass. Usually a guy will hit a pike on a spinnerbait fishing bass but not for us.. Wouldn't mind goin bassin back there though!! smile.gif