• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big, Rice, Deep Portage

First timer here, My family just finished a cabin on this chain of lakes and i was looking for anyone who has some info on where to catch walleyes. It can be either open water or thru the ice it doesnt matter. We have found spots to catch crappies, and A LOT of pike, but no eyes yet.

thanks in advance for your help.

I have caught a few eyes through the ice on big portage, but there few and far between. in the summer my budy wayne godfrey does good night trolling deep portage. he runs the sporting goods section in Godfreys supervalue at the corner of 371 if you go in and talk to him he will be more than happy to help you out.

yea waynes house is just 4 doors down from ours. He is a very nice guy. we are actually on rice portage, which is a great duck hunting lake but leaves a lot to be desired for fishing. next time up ill have to stop in and pick Waynes brain. thanks

I have fished with wayne there and the fishing can be very good. can be a pain to get back in there. i would go see him a pick his brain about it some more.

• 2 weeks later...

one more good spot for eyes is troll slow around the the island on big with rigs/leaches 10-14ft

There are a few walleyes in rice troll around the only deep hole in in rice i think it is right in front of your cabin use rigs/leaches fish slow. good luck...

trolling in rice is quite difficult, because there are so many weeds. Any ideas on how to combat this problem? Also how navigatabe the channel from rice to deep is? i know when the water is high, i can make it through with the trolling motor, but last year the water was low most of the year and i didnt try. thanks

Loucks,I use a simple hook and round nose split shot when trolling around on rice keep the rig above the weeds.as for the getting into deep it can be a little hairy but i have been able to get my boat{18ft 135hp} though every year some times the bottom will rub but it is all sand in there watch out for the bever he likes to leave sticks in the channel hope to see you on the lake remeber C&R good luck

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rivergroup
      Heading up to LV a week from today with the kids. Any advice for us? Staying on the West side but open to traveling if the weather permits.   The way the last few weeks have gone, might stay for good!!!
    • leech~~
      Do have Wi-Fi in your house. Your going to need that to work with any of the cameras that send a signal and video to your phone.  Hardwire is the best but battery power workers well for about two months then you have to pull them and recharge them.  It is nice to sit on a beach in Key West and keep an eye on your house when gone! 👌
    • smurfy
      SO.......you dont think the BEWARE OF WIFE sign is sufficient???? 😂😄   seriously.......i'm no help!!!!
    • Dash 1
      With all the craziness in the world I’m looking at getting an outdoor security camera setup for my home. Anyone have ideas on what works well without a huge cost  and easy to do . Or is it better to go with a company to set it up.  We have recently had copper thefts in the area at farmers fields and bin sites and I know it will only gat worse as these things always do. I probably want something that hooks up to my phone as well and wondering if there is a good one with either battery life or if wired is better. Any thoughts are welcome. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Aren't they the ones that ran into problems about illegal bait? Anyone know how that turned out?
    • chaffmj
      You launch on Moose Lake to get to the motorized portage. It's called Prairie portage. To get to the portage you put in at Moose Lake. From Moose you go into Newfound Lake. From Newfound you go into Sucker Lake. On Sucker is where Prairie portage is. There is a dock on the American side and on the Canadian side there is big sign welcoming you to Canada. Latourell's Resort runs the portage and the cost for the portage is $40 for a round trip.
    • mulefarm
      Will that blond haired kid have that cool little orange boat in the show this weekend? Saw him driving around by Muskego Point a few times this summer.
    • smurfy
      Hey  stranger!!👌
    • delcecchi
      Nope, there are parts of Basswood that allow motors.   Entry is from Fall Lake, and there is (I think) a motorized portage.   It is really popular in the spring...
    • smurfy
      had that happen last year on a lake. doing pretty good with sunfish till momma 2 youngins showed up........we moved!!!!🥴 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.