• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Elminating Line Twist

marine_man

Question

I made the switch a long time ago to a super braid line (Power Pro or Fireline) which greatly helped out my line twist problems.

I noticed while doing some vertical jigging with a whistler jig that my line was still very twisty, from what I suspect is the jig turning as it is dropped and raised by jigging.

I've got a swivel on it, but it doesn't seem to be doing it's job as everytime I pull the jig out of the water it starts spinning pretty fast and will spin for a little while.

I imagine a ball bearing swivel will take care of this problem, but the one that I tried last time (sorry, don't remember the brand, but it wasn't south bend) didn't seem to be much better... it alost seemed like the swivel had a high internal resisitance to spinning, at least more than I would guess a spinning jig would offer.

Does anyone have any better suggestions, or am I out of luck?

Thanks!

marine_man

6 answers to this question

A berring swivel will be much better than a barrel, but they can be quite expensive, but well worth it. If you can find a Sampo swivel they seem to be best in my opinion. They are a much smaller diamiter and doesnt affect the lure action as much.

About 2-3 feet above the lure seems about best.

I also just posted this in another post.. if you see fish going after your swivel, time to downsize... A little tip from the deitzster!

You can also get rid of the whistler jigs and go to Thumper Jigs. I have had just as good luck with them on lakes and better luck on rivers. I just dont care for the resistance the whistlers have in current. A good berring swivel is best as said above. If its summer fishing I usually go about 5' up and in winter anyplace from 2-3'.

Continue to go with a ball bearing swivel. I use the ones without a snap. The smaller profile helps reduce the amount of junk that accumulates on the swivel. I really have had good luck with the swivels made by Berkley. They are a bit spendy but they are worth it. They are also a must when I am live bait rigging leeches.

Jason Erlandson

Another thing that helps is backreeling. Do not let a fish take drag, that twists your line horribly.

Tom B

Thanks for the info everyone... I'll give it a shot this weekend at Lake of the Woods...

I'll let you know how it goes...

marine_man