• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Washburn/Bayfield next weekend

I think i am going to have to make a day trip over to the bay either friday, saturday, or sunday. Anyone want to go? I plan on bringing my sled with and fishing out of houghton point for salmon and trout, or else walking out of bayfield for some deepwater lakers depending on ice conditions (which i hear should be good by this weekend) I think I only have one or two ice fishing trips left in me before it's time to take a break and get ready for my favorite season of the year.

Quick,

I am a complete newby to that area, so it would be kind of like "take a kid fishing" but...

I might be interested in either Friday or Sunday. I'm pretty sure I have all the gear needed as I have fished lakers before, just not over there. Let me know what day you decide on.

Quote:

I think I only have one or two ice fishing trips left in me

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard you say that grin.gif

I'm game for a day trip, someone's gotta show quickstrike how its done shocked.gif

I just got a report last night of some good splake action in the channel off the lighthouse, my very reliable friend got twin 24"s & mixed smaller fish the last 2 days. Craig at Outdoor Allure says most folks are headed out to deeper water though now that its available.

I'm fishing the perch extravaganza out of Liberty Beach on Mille Lacs this weekend, but plan a Fri/Sat fish on the Cheq. for the 3rd & 4th so youall please post your results from this weekend!

Later & luck to you, CLoma

Quick-

I would love to learn the bay. I'm fairly new to lakers and completly new to the bay grin.gif but would love to tag along and learn something...I have a sled and a 2 man shack (possibly room if my fishing buddy doesn't want to tag along). Oh yeah, I would be up for Saturday.

You guys have fun.. Will be over in Bay De Noc...

Quite a few folks out today, where reports varied. Seen one big group fish all day, appeared they werent doing very well, with some other folks saying the caught one or two fish, mixed bag as usual.

On my outing, I went 7 for 9. 5 Salmon, 1 Brown, and 1 Huge Pout... A few fish caught on a minnow under a bobber, but most fell victim to a 1/2 ounce flyer.

Good ice conditions from Washburn over to Long Island. The Bayfield ice is still sketchy... Heard of some machines that went to the south end of Basswood today, but with one poke with a chisel near shore... You aint gonna get this guy going out there... But hopefully if the weather holds up, by the weekend there will be a fair amount of ice for walking and machine travel. The ferry is still running, and the south channel is open. So beware of these areas.

The highlight of my day... Gotta love how those browns fight!!!

brown022206mediumwebview3cv.jpg

Quick,

Wal and I are up for a Sat. trip there. I'll see if I can round up a sled.

Jim, nice looking brown. I was hoping you would be around the bay on Sat. You heading to bay de noc fishing?

wow! I guess I didn't expect so much interest. I think I will probally make the trip over there on saturday, and as of now I plan on heading out of the washburn marina. Since so many people want to go maybe we can meet at perkins in superior or something like that and caravan ( no pun intended porter ) over to the bay. hopefully this time I can actually catch a few fish rather than watching everyone else slay them all day like last time. grin.gif

Quote:

hopefully this time I can actually catch a few fish rather than watching everyone else slay them all day like last time.
grin.gif

Poor quickstrike, maybe that's why you're always threatening to give up ice fishing shocked.gif Saturday sounds like a plan, I'll probably have to pull another all nighter, but it worked out last time.

Jim, where were you fishing last time out? Sounds like you had about the same luck as we did just north of washburn aside from the pout. Any reports of big lakers yet?

Quick,

You thinking about fishing the same area you guys nailed them last time or are you thinking of heading deep for lakers.

I guess it depends on the reports i hear from this week. I would really like to get out deep to chase some lakers but some good reports would be encouraging. I still don't know the area or varying ice conditions that well yet and it's nice to stick with what's familiar (and somewhat productive in this case). I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, we can probably play it by ear as far as the exact location goes, we can make that call the night before if we need to. This should be a good time, with this many guys we should be able to whack some nice fish on the head grin.gif

if you're in the same shape as you were last time we might as well whack you over the head and put you out of your misery. that way it will leave some fish for other people to catch. tongue.gif i don't want to hear any "i had to work until 4 am excuses this weekend. grin.gif

Quick-

I'm 99% right now for Saturday. I'm super excited. grin.gif I'll have to buy a 2day license Saturday morning but could you fill me in on how I should be rigged? bait needed? tip ups? Anything else a person should have that you can think of?

Saturday for me too. That works out best for me anyway. Porter I'll call you and maybe Quickstrike, you and I can ride over again?

Yeah, great number of interested people for this outing. Wish I could make it, and it figures I am leaving as soon as the ice shapes up!!! But either way, Lota Lota and I will be pulling some behemoth walleyes out of Bay De Noc, will be a great time!!!

Yesterday's trip was in the Channel near Houghton Point and out towards Long Island. Lots of water to fish now, which is great. And travel is awesome in this area. Just watch for pressure cracks and please, be careful out there!!! Today, I hit the ice again, and with the change in weather, the fish decided to change their mood as well. A few herring and some smelt is all I could hook in three hours, so I threw in the towel, and came home and got packed up for the trip.

And idea for you guys if you want to get into lakers. Come off Bayfield here, the area where we usually launch from Quick. The ice is 5 to 6 inches here now, and you guys could easily walk out to some deeper water. I just don't know how many of you guys have sleds or wheelers, and this way all can get to a fishing spot. Hard to walk to Houghton Point... Am gonna go give it a go for a bit tomorrow morning...

Just a quick tid bit too, from what I hear, we are suppose to get a pretty big snowfall Friday night... Travel safe, and be extra careful on the new ice...

My site's report is updated as well for you guys...

I have this Sat o0ff but work next Sat. Im fishing the contest on the river this Sat though. If reports were better I would go but I hear its spotty at best. Without a sled Im dead on the water. frown.gif

come on steve! what's the point of fishing another contest, you know poutslayer is gonna win all the prizes anyways! grin.gif

Sinker,

If we don't go real deep, your med to med-heavy walleye stuff should do the trick. 4-6lb test should be fine. Last time we were out I caught most of my fish on a blue and silver pimple, with a few on a dead stick with a little buckshot on it. The times I've been out when we had salmon moving through, they didn't seem to be all that fussy.

If we go out of bayfield though, you're gonna want a heavier rod, probably with power pro and some type of leader. The current out there can be pretty wild, and you need to use big jigs to get down to the bottom without your bait washing up on one of the islands. If we do go that route, Quick and I have probably got an extra heavy action spinning rod laying around, so if you've got a reel with braid on it you should be good to go.

I've got 3 guys going and one snowmobile so we will have to make a couple of trips to get everything out. Maybe 4 if Jar Jar decides to go? Hopefully we don't get to much snow. Are you guys getting bait there?

WhatiCanget-

Thanks for the info! I have 2 rods with fireline on med/heavy rods so I should be pretty close to set. I have a small assortment of pimples and a couple of heavy jigs.

Quick-

Do we have a meeting time/place yet???

well looks as if i will most likely be walking out of bayfield on saturday as my sled took another crap on me today! just got it back from the shop along with a hefty bill and she seemed to lose spark again overnight. mad.gif unless i get that taken care of by sat, it looks like some deepwater laker fishing will be the best bet. As for bait, i always stop by the outdoor allure on my way out there. good bait and good info.

Ahh, just hike it out. It will get your limbs ready for Grand Slam. I just hope you get out of this skunk streak your in! shocked.gif

Have a good time guys. Wish I could be there

You guys will be fine walking out from Bayfield, and probably be hooking into some fish. Some guys should stay in shallower on the break and other fish deeper. Then you will run the gammet on things to catch and can talk back and forth on where the better action is. Splake and Browns up shallow. Lakers out deep. Oh, cant forget the whities and herring that are around that area too...

Have fun guys, and Craig should have some fresh herring this weekend for the lakers... In a bind, try some of the Berkley Gulp! Saltwater cutbait I had him order, cuts a lot easier then herring and hooks up a lot better on the beetles, still has enough stink for them lakers!! smile.gif He also has some pre-packaged herring cut bait that will work well too. Stinky stuff!! It works well on meat rigs in the summer, so I would think it would work just as well through the ice.

A pretty consistant 5 inches, with a few spots that has 6 in this area. Probably could walk out quite a ways, but stay away from where the Ferry has been running, the ice will be thinner there for sure. I am sure you will see some people on sleds and wheelers this weekend, but still, be safe!!!

Jar, must of backed out I haven't heard from him. So there will be 3 of us leaving my house (by country boy) at 5:30am. Were going to stop by outdoor allure for bait. I really have no idea where to go so were going to play it by ear.

Ran,

I wasn't able to get a machine for the trip and it looks like more snow for the morning. I would love to go but without a machine it would be impossible frown.gif

Jar Jar

What is everyone thinking for tomorrow? I see outdoor ran is planning on going...Quick? WhatICanGet?

I think with all the snow here and knowing that area will get pounded, I'm leaning towards staying around here. Rice lake sounds like it maybe a good option.