• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Country Club Manot Pits Project Map

It looks like Cascade Lake project is suppose to be completed this spring.

To me it looks like there is going to be much more fishable area that there is now.

At least 2 public parking ramps, a few fishing piers, a beach, a trail, etc. It looks like a nice project and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Click Here for PDF Map

This is so unbelievably awesome I can't say it more. What a great looking idea and project. I'm just sad it is happening when i'm moving out of town to Zumbro Falls. I'm excited about the boat ramp launch too. Wonder if it will be motorized (doubt it) or electric only.

What do all those lines mean in the blue part of the water? Surely that can't be depth markers???

I can't wait to put my big 20' pontoon boat on their and motor around looking at the depths and fishing the areas I've always wanted to get to.

electric trolling looks like.

great idea for water quality by diverting creek away so it is groundwater fed. should make for a nice clear lake. love that for fishing. some private docks will make for fun fishing for bass under the docks. i sure hope it is targeted as a bass/panfish lake and not a catfish one. i'm so pumped about this i can hardly stand it.

I'm glad I didn't learn about this any sooner or i would have died from the anticipation. Sounds like it will still be a multi year project as parts come to fruition. I would support special regulations like no harvest of bass between 15-17" with only 1 allowed over 17 per day. I once saw a guy pull his limit out of there of 3lb+ bass and it just made me sick. I'd be happy for it to be cpr only for bass but that probably won't happen.

I hope we get some good depths (15+ hopefully) with some good bottom structure. I wonder what they plan to use for the food chain such as minnows/shiners/perch?

I am just as excited!! I think is going to be a great feature for Rochester to offer it residents and close communities. I read it will be from 15-18 feet on the average but up to 40 feet in some areas. Certainly more useful than Goose Crap Lake!! shocked.gif

Glad to see this is about to happen. I saw the info out there for about 2 years now. Will be interesting to see how it all looks.

Carl,

Moving out to Zumbro Falls huh? You'll be neighbors with Dan now.

Andy

We just bought 18 acres summer of 2005 east of town up and over the hill a bit right close to 60. We are building in May and hope to move in by sept-oct.

My opinion differs from others. I realize the project will make it available to more people, but I view this as another development that "citifies" another area. Some of my fondest early fishing memories were of a quarry I grew up fishing. "Stalking" crappies & bass along the brushy banks helped me learn how to cast. Once it was "modernized" made sterile, it was ruined. Hope this does not happen here.

Stillhunter....

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Urban sprawl has ruined so much of what I had as a child.

This new park will have limited housing on it. Still, the ones that are there already make the place feel like you are fishing in someones' bath-tub.

This is where I feel the DNR must step in and inforce some catch and release regulations. I would really like to see catch and relase on all Largemouth and lower the limits on crappie & sunfish. This lake project will really increase the pressure on this pond and I'd hate to see it get "fished out" after a couple of years. I've had some of my best luck on that pond this past year. Does anyone know if the DNR will step in?

confused.gif

To me, this development feels like a breath of fresh air. Over the years Rochester has become so "bought up" it's actually kind of nice to see a place like this become accessible to the public.

Every body of water has it's pro's and con's, and so will this one.

I really hope the DNR keeps a close eye on Cascade Lake. Simply because it's going to need all the help it can get.

I think in this instance we might be better off with some controls placed on the lake. By creating access for boats, the secluded havens they enjoy now during the soft water will get exploited. And by controls, I am referring to the larger fish. They need to go back. Sunnies ove 8.5 and crappies over 10 should have to be put back. While these fish exist in good numbers now, there will not be any in a matter of months should some effort to sustain their existsance not be in place when it does open.

I completely agree with you CrappieTom. I really want the boat launches so i can take my kids out on my 'mobile fishing platform' (aka my pontoon boat). It is so much easier to fish with the kids if you have them confined on the boat and I just move the boat around to put them on fish.

Because of easier access, we definitely need special restrictions placed on harvest of bass in this lake. if the bigs ones are harvested too much, there will become an overabundance of little sunfish. I would favor some type of setup the DNR would recommend to help maintain the population. Perhaps we should ask Deadhead who works for the DNR to comment on this topic.

I'm happy that this project will give us anglers easier access without any questions about trespassing.

However, I agree with the rest of you that this new found easy access will be taken advantage of and could really put the boots to the fishery. Another vote for stiffer regulations.

Quote:

This new park will have limited housing on it. Still, the ones that are there already make the place feel like you are fishing in someones' bath-tub.

Maybe we can call it "Minnetonka South".

Seriously, after looking over the Master Plan Concept in depth I really like how it is layed out. A little bit of everything for all those involved. I even think the amphitheatre idea is pretty cool. Lots of trails, a swimming beach, fishing piers, etc.

One question is are they renaming the lakes? I'm assuming Manorwoods Lake is what is referred to the North Pit. In the phone book, this is listed as Cascade. Then I'm assuming that what is now called the South Pit is going to then be Cascade Lake. I didn't realize it opened up that much on the East Side, though to be honest I'm not really familiar with the territory down there. It would be nice if they are able to make some cover via downing some shoreline trees, etc instead of making it a non structured lake. Any idea on the total acreage of the lake?

Andy

the lake does not currently occupy the size it is on the plan. they will be merging several of the small little lakes as they do the bulldozer work. it appears there will be some bottom structure incorporate by looking at the map.

I believe you need to contact the Area Fisheries Superviosr at Lanesboro Area Fisheries regarding special regs on the cc manor pits. (507) 467-2442 I believe Jim Wagner retired, and I had heard that Jason Moeckel was to take over his spot, but I am not positive on that.

Explain to him that you are interested in pursuing special regs on bass and panfish, and suggest holding a public hearing regarding the matter.

Hope that answered your question smile.gif

I spoke with Kevin Stauffer (sp?) of the DNR at Lake City.

• Per my discussion with him:

The DNR has been working with and talking with the city for sometime in regards to this. The consulting firm had the DNR provide design suggestions for the creek as well as the lake. Since there is not a formal public access point (there is legal access, just not formal access) they are holding off on supplying guidelines because it would encourage more fishing at the time being. They currently have plans to hold public meetings to hear from both sides. Evidently he has also received calls from people who *don't* want any regulation The idea will be to have regulations in place when the lake has formal opening with public parking/access. He says they are limited in what they know about the lake and its fish and this will make it difficult to have good regulations He said they had the design firm design high quality spawning areas for the sunfish - but limited ammounts to discourage overpopulation There will be bottom stucture/brush piles/ridges etc as part of the design. He agreed that the Bass need to be managed to keep the panfish population in check.

Who really wants to eat bass anyway? At least not in the summer time out of the warm water. Put them all back and just keep one over a certin length.

Your spelling was correct. I wasn't sure what DNR Area Office was in charge of the pits since the border of the Area Offices seem to split right about Rochester. Sorry about that, I should have just given you Kevin's number as well.

Good luck!

Here is another thought, why not try and develop it into a walleye fishery? I know bass is probably going to be the most popular, but I recall seeing some pretty small lakes in the Sportman's Connection series of books that are managed for walleyes. I be the DNR could do the same here. I know we are really close to the river and all, but it might be a option worth exploring.

Andy

i've kept and ate bass before (mainly because it was my father in law who insisted on it). If you are going to keep em, keep the little ones! less than 15 inches. or even 14 inches and under. they make nice small fillets and there are tons of those size of fish in the lake. the big ones are tough and are for reproduction.

i realize that being in Minnesota, the walleye is desired ... alot...

however many times the bass fisherman is ignored. Additionally, one would need to consider the cost involved in being managed for walleyes. i would guess that it would be hard to have a self sustaining population. that would mean more expense for the dnr to stock etc. Seems better all around to have lakes that are more suited for walleyes be managed for them and make the money go further.

i thought i heard there was an article about this a few days ago in the paper? Any confirmation on this? Any details worthy of reporting?