• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

U/L spinnig reel, which ones don't twist line?

norma

Question

I have tried shakespere and gander brand ultra light reels. After an afternoon of tossing 1/32 oz jigs they all seen to develope a bad case of line twist. I think it is because the roller on the bail is not turning under such a light load. Anyone out there recomend a reel that won't twist up the line?

11 answers to this question

Start closing the bail by hand and that will eliminate 90% of your problem, believe it or not!

the bail is a big cause; and using jigs will cause twist in the line also. when you start noticing the line twisting up; take the jig off and let the line out behind the boat or let it out on a grass area , pull it a little ways to relax it and reel it back on. you'll be good to go for a while.

What line weight? You might try dropping the line weight a bit and also might want to try a softer line. As noted too, do NOT turn the crank when a fish is running against the drag-that'll do it every time. I have a hunch it also just may be a factor in using those ultra-lite lures.

I think the biggest factor in line twist with ultra light reels is the size of the spool itself. Generally speaking the smaller the diameter of the spool the more problems you will have with twist. I also agree with everything else that has been said about line twist.

If you want to use an ultra light you are probably going to deal with line twist to some extent. If the type of fishing you are doing allows maybe upsize your reel one size and some of this problem will be minimized.

All very good reasons for line twist. I learned a long time ago to close the bail by hand, and that will eliminate that first twist that can really make a mess.Also, when spooling the line on, make sure that the line comes off of the spool and onto your reel the same way. Meaning either clockwise or counterclockwise. That can make all the difference in the world! For what it is worth.

By no means is mine what would be considered an "expensive" reel but I use a Quantum Ultra Lite and I love it. I have had very few problems with line twist.

I'm with many on this. Larger spool reels will twist a bit less, but then is it really an ultra lite?..

Most twist on spinning reels is operator error.

-Lure twist

-Closing bait by hand vs by reel handle.

-Reeling against drag.

-improperly putting it on...

Those are the major culprits. Th elure will often do it, and often times I will not change the lure.. There are times you just have to take the lure off and run the line through the snow for a bit to remove the twist. If the lure is the problem, I often times with jigging spoons will put a small swivel up the line about 2 feet. This will often times help in another way when using a depth finder.. if you see fish going after your swivel.. its time to downsize.

i just want to add ; when a fish goes after your swivel instead of the lure. it can also be telling you to change color or the depth of your lure too! grin.gif

Here's just another possible cause of line twist. The way you hook your minnow can cause your jig to rotate every time you jig it. And if your moving along with the trolling motor will only make it happen faster. Running the hook through the minnow's mouth and gills then hooking it in the back can cause your line to twist. That's not always bad though. I seen it trigger fish at times.

I have been having good luck with the "closed face"

spinning rigs. They are great. Both of mine are Quantum

units. I have had good luck with them in the winter too,

but they have a tendency to freeze up in the very cold conditions. They are okay for the permanent or warmer

situations though....